• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Went to buy a VCR, had a surprise (no TV tuners?)

sure did :D

I can't find specs for that power board (more of a board built into a box with a plate cvovering it). When I search for ADT anything there's a staffing agency looks like, and ADT security. The color coding looks similar, but not sure. Still searching.

What do you need it for? I have an NTSC tape player that occasionally eats tapes. Would you be interested in it?
I've secured one already, so that's okay. But I've found that when a VCR eats tapes occasionally, something has come loose and out of alignment, a simple tightening of a screw somewhere will fix it, I fixed two like this till the thing just broke (that I was tightening). Also, could be just dirty or choked with dust.

I'm back to having TV-tuner goodness.

Pretty much. Old TV's can be made cable ready with a cheap-o vcr with a TV tuner in it.

Also, update. I can't fina a compatible power supply anywhere. LiteOn told me they basically sell them and have no technical details about it as far as any kind of schematic or technical details(I think they do, but it's old so they don't want to bother). So I am going to make my own.

The voltages that it calls for (other than the 12 and 5 for the DVD drive) are odd. 26v, 14v, 6v. All DC.

My friend Joe has dug up an old military grade 24V power supply that has a variable voltage control, which let me make the 26V it needs.

He then dug up some old 1960's era resistors and parts n pieces so I can now build a "reducer" for lack of a better term with those and a certain chip that I can't remember the name of. LM317 or something. It won't get it perfect, but it will get it close enough (to a tenth of a volt and 100th of an ohm of resistance iirc) so I can use this set-top DVD burner again.

Another reason I am goin gto such great lengths is because there's a Blockbuster DVD in it and it won't come out. Late charges are a real pain. Plus it's a great project that I haven't had much experience doing in the past. It looks funky.

And it will weigh about three poinds more, that military PS is HEAVY. And GREEN. It's a bit too big, so instead of resting against the bottom of the case I am gonna have to make it raise up for clearance. Pictures when I get done, probably tomorrow.

Is it the 14th already?? Time sure is flying by for me. The thing isn't fixed yet, but I intend to go there after class tomorrow in the afternoon to work on it.

The power supply is a tad too big for the case to hold, so I will be strapping it to the outside of it. Any custom circuits will be hidden safely inside. This way, I'll have access to the power switch so it won't be always on.

Thought I had a method of rigging another power supply from a different player, but it's just too small wattage-wise and won't cut it. I love this stuff, just wish there was more time to devote to it.

Nathan

Minor success today, I was able to apply power to just the drive and get the dvd out-- back it goes to blockbuster, no more re-renting.

Eliminated the drive as the problem, it worked fine when merely powered up. Weird, it seems to have its own roms tht have to boot up, not sure how it would do as a recorder in a computer.

No time for it today, had class, but am going to attach the green brick power supply to the upper case so that there is plenty of clearance. I'll be able to throw it all together on Monday when the shop is next open. Not really mine, but the ham radio operator, Joe's, else I'd be there first thing tomorrow.

Back