• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Need help with Tandy 1000 SX

Baloo

Hello, I just recently bought a Tandy 1000 SX computer online. The 5.25 floppy drive doesn't seem to recognize the DOS disk anymore. When I first got it, I hooked it up, and the computer booted up DOS fine when I put in the disk. Tested out Deskmate on it, and it worked. Then I tested out another disk (which was messed up) and it gave me a read error. So I took it out, and tried another disk. Same thing. So I turned the computer off, then back on, and now when I put in the DOS disk, it won't recognize the DOS disk anymore. I keep getting the error "Please insert the System Disk. Then strike a key." I'm afraid that the floppy disk that I put in that was messed up may have somehow messed up the reading of the drive. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix this problem?

Thank You.

First, you might open the drive and clean the heads and realign it.

What exactly was 'wrong' with the floppy you tried?

EDIT: And always remember to backup any valuable disks once you fix it.

The floppy disk that I tried out was a Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego floppy disk that was bent in a couple of places on it's right side (The side with the square).

Ok, i've taken the cover off the computer, what should I exactly look for to see if anything is out of wack?

There's also metal covering the top of the disk drive, so it's a little tough to see in there.

Oh, and also, I cannot make copies of my floppy disks, because the computer only has one disk drive on it.

Well, I don't know what happened, but the computer started reading disks again. Thank you for your help anyway wmmullaney.

Your welcome, you can still copy disks, you just gotta have a program, and, depending on your memory side, swap floppies occasionally. Is there a Copy II version for the Tandy? That would be ideal.

I do it all the time on my Commodore 64.

This may be a little late to help, but if you have just one phyiscal floppy disk you can still use copy and/or diskcopy just as if you had two drives.
For example doing "diskcopy A: B:" on a single drive system will cause it to prompt you to inset disk for drive A or B as needed.

Be prepared to do a lot of swapping on a full disk, it's a pain but it worked.

Back