• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AWE32 AWE64 in 8-bit slot

JT64

Experienced Member
Have anyone done any serious effort to get an AWE32 or AWE64 to work with SB16 driver in an 8-bit slot?

JT

My guess is that it won't work sine they're PnP cards. Older SB16's that has manual jumpers for settings might partly work (leaving out a lot of 16-bit functions), if you confugure them right.

My guess is that it won't work sine they're PnP cards. Older SB16's that has manual jumpers for settings might partly work (leaving out a lot of 16-bit functions), if you confugure them right.

I am looking around for a soundcard for my XT, would be nice with wavetable synthesis in rom or ram. And a soundcanvas audiocard would be a killer.

Maybe one should build one, just like the dudes building the HD controller cards, Just i get hold of a one bit AD/DA i would build an audiocard that blow you away for the PC-XT, it is possible to build an audiocard that not use quantisized data only rely on the bus speed. It will be the first digital-analog recordings.

Compability with other systems will not be that great though. :D
On the other hand you can compress the nonequantisized audiodata, "But it will take time on an XT" :D

But playing recording nonequantised audiodata would be pretty easy, and with support for 137-GB drives who knows maybe the next superaudio card for XT, is just round the corner.
Hard to find but i guess i have to keep looking.

JT

I am looking around for a soundcard for my XT, would be nice with wavetable synthesis in rom or ram. And a soundcanvas audiocard would be a killer.

Maybe one should build one, just like the dudes building the HD controller cards, Just i get hold of a one bit AD/DA i would build an audiocard that blow you away for the PC-XT, it is possible to build an audiocard that not use quantisized data only rely on the bus speed. It will be the first digital-analog recordings.

On the other hand you can compress the nonequantisized audiodata, "But it will take time on an XT" :D

But playing recording nonequantised audiodata would be pretty easy, and with support for 137-GB drives who knows maybe the next superaudio card for XT, is just round the corner.

JT

The last SoundBlaster with 100% support for the XT is the SoundBlaster Pro 2 (usually CT1600). This one even has an Panasonic CD-ROM interface that is possible to get working in the XT (see the "CD with SB Pro 2" thread).

To make one point clear: There are not any SB cards with Wavetable that will work in an 8-bit slot. If you want that, the Sound Canvas is about the closest you get.

JT

Pretty much pointless, the 8088 doesn't have the computing power to make it worth the bother.

I have a VGA card in my 8088, and Vintage VGA games are barely workable in the thing.

I think I've answered this question before. There is a good chance an AWE32 will work, provided it is not the plug n play version. However, it will only work as an SB16. I am quite certain the EMU engine and the MPU401 will be completely non-functional. It's sort of pointless to use the card in this way.

An AWE64 will not work. It is more closely related to the "vibras" which have been tested and do not work in an XT.

Pretty much pointless, the 8088 doesn't have the computing power to make it worth the bother.

I have a VGA card in my 8088, and Vintage VGA games are barely workable in the thing.

Are you sure?

What is the maximum transfer for an eight bit bus running at 4.77 Mhz, would it not be 8*4.77 Mbit/s, how do i calculate it?

I do not know much about sampling but i beleive oversampling can be used to reduce to improve the signal to noise ratio and improve linearity.

Furthermore there is nothing that prevents that streaming an oversampled signal directly to an media without any DSP involvement, the actual audioprocessing can be done by the CPU, in batch mode on the streamed sample files.

As i undersstand it the 1-ADC/DAC works mostly in the digital domain so need for required analogue filters is minimal. I do not see why it would not be possible to post process the signal in the file so the need for a DSP dissapear, and also could be used to minimise the amount of analogue filtering needed.

JT

Are you sure?

What is the maximum transfer for an eight bit bus running at 4.77 Mhz, would it not be 8*4.77 Mbit/s, how do i calculate it?

I do not know much about sampling but i beleive oversampling can be used to reduce to improve the signal to noise ratio and improve linearity.

Furthermore there is nothing that prevents that streaming an oversampled signal directly to an media without any DSP involvement, the actual audioprocessing can be done by the CPU, in batch mode on the streamed sample files.

As i undersstand it the 1-ADC/DAC works mostly in the digital domain so need for required analogue filters is minimal. I do not see why it would not be possible to post process the signal in the file so the need for a DSP dissapear, and also could be used to minimise the amount of analogue filtering needed.

JT

I do not talk about a device to play your 11khz and 22khz sampled games on.
I was thinking of a device for HighFidelity recordings, to preserve your LP's by using a 1-bit dac sigma delta converter at sample frequenzy of SACD and higher.

Would be nice to create an open format for audio that beats the shit out of SACD, where the only limit is the frequensy of your 1-bit dac and your computer bus speed.

JT

Back