• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

oldie but a goody?

Oldie but a goody?

Oldie but a goody?

Sorry that I couldn't get back to you sooner, but I got sentout of town for work and got back Mon. My name is Ken Nelson. I live near Raleigh, NC. I fired it up again and found that the batt. does work! It prompts me to enter a system disk. I have NO idea what it is talking about. Do you? Thanks for your time. Ken N. PS.. I do have pics if you like. noslennek@netzero.net

>compnewbie: "It prompts me to enter a system disk. I have NO idea what it is talking about. Do you? "

Every computer needs an OS in order to boot. Most use disks of some kind - either a hard drive or a floppy. This machine is just telling you that it doesn't have a bootable disk, ie. one with the system files. That is what it's talking about. The one you are posting from no doubt works the same way. :)

I don't have your model, but I have a T3100 of which I'm very fond. It takes a 720K disk and (I think) only likes Toshiba DOS. There is certainly a disk image on the net somewhere, perhaps on an old Toshiba page, where you can get the likes of "Toshiba DOS version 3.30" - I've seen it out there. Perhaps someone here can post an image for you. BTW, a disk image is a file which can be written to a disk as one whole image (like a photocopy) rather than just copying the information in the files. Hope this helps.

Goto this site and click on automatic boot disks, the dos 3 or 4.exe. put a formatted floppy in the compputer you'r using now, then ru the program. Insert the disk into the Toshiba, boot and you'r good to got.

Goto

I've got a T1200, but unfortunately don't have it on hand to make you a disk image. They're nice little machines. One thing to keep in mind is that the Floppy Drive(s) in them are 720KB Drives, not 1.44MB ones. So, if you look for a disk image, make sure it's a 720KB one. Just out of curiosity, does your T1200 have 2 Floppy drives, or 1 Floppy drive and a hard disk?

It has 1 Floppy but prompts you a boot disk? Hmmm, hope the hard disk isn´t dead in it. They use a weird 26-pin interface (Very difficult to get an adapter, or new drive). Do you hear the Hard disk spin up?

As far as a boot disk goes, do you have access to a computer that does have a hard rive? Making a boot disk is a simple process if you can find a computer with a floppy drive.

good news, bad news

good news, bad news

My T3100 has one of those odd harddrives. It stopped working a long time ago, at which time I entered upon a learning experience. :) It looks like the formulation on the surface of those disks is prone to ageing. I eventually took it apart and baked the disks (very carefully in a special oven)* and it worked for a while after that, but then it (sniff) died. I use the machine with just the one floppy and live with the lack of space. It's current application is in the basement where I enter inventory into it. I made up a system where I can easily search the database contents and also put the disk in my main dos machine and automatically update the data there. So you see, even simple machines can be useful!

* long story

BTW: Kaypro, where can I get one of those adaptors for the drive? I had no idea such a thing even existed. Any ideas?

I'm not terribly sure where you can get them. I've only ever seen one or two, and they weren't mine. I suspect you'll be able to find one on the internet somewhere...

Back