• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Goodbyes

To me this forum is like a party. I can be myself and enjoy myself, up to the point that it annoys my hosts (big grin) for any reason whatsoever. That's the bottom line and only way it can be really. Besides, within the bounds of civil behaviour, I don't have to like everybody, or even have a conversation with anyone I don't want to - moderators included. Actually I don't even know much about our "hosts", maby I wouldn't like them if I got to know them :) but that doesn't really matter. I'm a guest, and I'm here to have a good time, so to speak. There seems to be a lot of space for everybody and this forum is obviously for everyone's benefit.

Everyone has good and bad days, and any forum I guarantee there are a few that will get flamed or you'll eventually find someone flaming you for whatever reason. Sometimes it's a bad day and they just vented, other times a valid and good argument with points to each side.

As with most, I'd like to see you stick around. It's just a legal "cover your arse" thing when certain stuff is advocated on a site you own, ya know? Nothing personal, and I support software that's no longer being sold for profit being spread for free but you know if I wrote something on your site pointing to an actual download site and someone emailed you a ceise and desist letter you'd be a little less than impressed right? ;-) Obviously that hasn't happened here but that's all that's trying to be avoided. We all do our own extra curricular activities when off the forums and it's fine.

I love Druid's quote there "Those who act in haste get to repent in leisure." and of course we all joke since none of us have been perfect here and understand.

Good on you for putting the site somewhere still and providing for the community either way. Information is ironically dying in the digital age so its great to find support anywhere. Think about it and sleep on it before leaving folks hangin over here.

- John

Just remember that you have stumbled across a forum with some extremely knowledgable and helpfully-inclined members - I wouldn't burn your bridges, just in case.

Matthew.

I agree. It's one thing for someone to have knowledge. It's another thing when people go out of their way to share this with you, and help. Folks here tend to do that. I would only have 1/2 the machines I've got and a number of them would still be broken if it wasnt for the people who have helped me (and that includes Frozenfire). In turn, I try to help others with the limited knowledge I have.

Sharing rare skills and knowledge like this is something that is getting less common.

My advice: Eric, take some time out if you need to but as Matthew said, don't burn bridges. You might think differently in a week or two. I know you are passionate about preserving IBM PC history, and completely divoricing yourself from any interaction in this forum might hurt you more than you realise.

Disagreements happen, particulary over moderation issues. Sometimes they spill out publically and the language can be quite blunt. This happens in any "community" online or otherwise. In some communities the moderators ARE crazed power freaks but that is not the case here. If they were, there would be far fewer of us.

You were enthusiastic and passionate; what you wanted to do pushed against the forum rules and the moderator(s) pushed back (as is their job). Don't hold a grudge. Accept those limits, and keep up the good work within them. There is no loss of face in that.

Tez

Back