• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Apple 2E duodisk with disk 2 interface card

Apple2Owner

My electronics teacher cleaned out his junk closet and found some apple stuff for me to tinker with.

I got an apple 2e (Actually 2 of them) and a duodisk drive. I also got a disk ][ interface card.

The only equipment that I am sure works are the computers themselves, but the card and the drive appear to be in good condition.

Is there a simple way to get the duodisk working? I have no cables for it and I don't know if the disk ][ card will work with it or not. I could connect wires if I had the pinouts. (And if it is possible to connect the two in the first place)

As a last resort, does anyone know where I could find a duodisk card? (cheap?) I expect that finding drives to go with the disk][ would be more expensive than just getting a card for the duodisk.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
If I recall correctly... you would be better off looking for the disk drives for the controller you have. Duo disk controllers and cables are $$$, of course your mileage may vary.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll shop around some.

I was also wondering, If I get the floppy working, can I just save directly from the Basic programming mode, or do I need a dos disk?

I do have some blank 5 1/4 floppies, but no apple software.

I've been saving simple programs on a cassette recorder.

Last edited:
If I get the floppy working, can I just save directly from the Basic programming mode, or do I need a dos disk?
You need to boot some sort of DOS before you can use the drive.

I do have some blank 5 1/4 floppies, but no apple software.
I've been saving simple programs on a cassette recorder.
The good news is you can use the cassette interface to create a DOS floppy:
http://adtpro.sourceforge.net/bootstrapaudio.html
I've done it and it's relatively easy.

Have fun,
Andy

i've been saving simple programs on a cassette recorder.
Code:
This one is fun, especially on a green monitor:

10 HOME
20 FOR I=1 TO 2
30  K=INT(RND(1)*95+33)
40  PRINT CHR$(K);
50 NEXT I
60 PRINT ,
70 GOTO 20

Andy

Wow, Thanks alot for that link! It's exactly what I was going to look for next. I was sure I would have an awful time getting a dos disk.

All these old computers were before my time, (I was born in 91) but I really enjoy this sort of thing.

Is there a way to get other software in audio format over the internet?

Also, where do I download disk images for games? I hope This isn't drifting too far from the start topic.

Gotta go back to my math homework now...

Last edited:
Disk Drives

Disk Drives

I have a couple different sets of Floppy Disk Drives if you are looking for them. I have some for the Disk ][ card and some that use a 19pin connector on the back of your Apple IIe.

Could you pm me with some price estimates, payment, etc? I don't have much to spend right now but we'll see.

I was thinking I would try to find something locally.

Edit: do they come with cables and stuff?

Also, where do I download disk images for games?

They are around on the Internet in various places. Some careful googling should find some. Often the disk images have the extension DSK but this is used for disk images other systems too. Make sure they are APPLE II disk images.

Tez

Alright, thanks. I did some searching and found some sites where there are some images available for download.

Back