• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM 5154 Troubleshooting

Just to update this thread, I now have the 5154 working again!

I replaced the capacitors with two that Nige kindly sent me, reassembled the monitor and all seems well.

I do get very, very slight shake on the text, and the very left hand edge seems to be extended by 1 pixel, but it's not really noticable. Maybe some adjustments will solve that.

Thanks again, everyone who has helped :D

Excuse the camera-phone photo :eek:

working.jpg

Last edited:
Well, encouraged by Dongfeng's success, I might dare to pick it up my self (hopefully with your kind help...).

I've got an 5154 that does this:

5154 video

Now, as next step might be to open it up:

How long should I wait for capacitors to discharge, so I can (more or less) safely do that?
And then.... what to look for?

:eek:

Last edited:
Bad capacitors in the power supply can also cause video problems.
The capacitors in these monitors dry out or leak over time because
the power supply is encased in a metal box, holding in all the heat.
The capacitors are rated at only 85 degrees C which was a poor
design decision.

If you remove the power supply, look for traces of brown residue
at the base of the electrolytic capacitors (cans). If you're serious
about getting it working a 5-10 dollar investment in replacing the
capacitors is probably a good idea. I usually ignore the two very
large 'cans' as they are rather expensive and I haven't ever needed to
replace these. I've ordered these capacitors from partsexpress.com
because they have reasonable shipping charges for small orders.

OOH total frame collapse, that was a stock fault but I'll be damned if I can remember the cause!

in the ibm technical reference (link has been posted recently - I downloaded it) on page D-53, if that's the 5154 (I can't remember numbers) look at C315 (or it's equivalent) it's a 220uF 50V and it's in series with the vertical deflection coil - that would be the first component I'd look at!

Wait a couple of minutes for the capacitors to discharge, then once you've got the boards out, put a screwdriver across the terminals of the big ones just to be sure.

Hmm both D-52 and D53 say Color graphics adapter, and there is no indication if its an 5153 or 5154.

Not too good at schematics anyway, but I might be able to take that to someone.
Should it be in the power supply or somewhere else?

Anyway, thanks already, its amazing what one can learn at this forums..

Hmm both D-52 and D53 say Color graphics adapter, and there is no indication if its an 5153 or 5154.

Not too good at schematics anyway, but I might be able to take that to someone.
Should it be in the power supply or somewhere else?

Anyway, thanks already, its amazing what one can learn at this forums..

Jorg, I have scans of the Technical Reference Options and Adapters
section with the IBM PGA monitor schematic. The power supplies
are identical between the 5154 and 5175(PGA). Send me your email
address and I'll send the files.

no matter - C315 if it IS the same monitor, should be idented on the board, it'll be near the (usually 4 way plug thingy) connections for the deflection coils, on the main board, all the same It will possibly show some bulging/leaking.

The part number rings a bell, (but it could just have been my old alarm password (in which case it would have silenced a bell!!))

And it's a good contender, having big AC currents flowing through it it's whole life. Look at the psu first, then that, then the vertical deflection drive chip.

Well thanks for the scans but....
where are the deflection circuits?

I've given it a good look over, and page 8's missing!

Hoooray!

Hoooray!

no matter - C315 if it IS the same monitor, should be idented on the board, it'll be near the (usually 4 way plug thingy) connections for the deflection coils, on the main board, all the same It will possibly show some bulging/leaking.

The part number rings a bell, (but it could just have been my old alarm password (in which case it would have silenced a bell!!))

And it's a good contender, having big AC currents flowing through it it's whole life. Look at the psu first, then that, then the vertical deflection drive chip.

Hello Nige and Modem7,

You are the winners!

IMGP3059.jpg

I luckily found a great TV repair shop, and it was the vertical deflection drive chip.
Then the quest to find one (Philips TDA 2653) begun. I finally found one on ebay in the UK, and after some troubles with Royal Mail (the first shipment has been lost//// is on the way since october 2008 - and I now have a second working 5154 monitor.

thanks!

But many thanks to all other suggestions also- of course that could have been it just as well.

Last edited:
Excellent!

It's great to see these successes happening due to the knowledge shared in this forum.

Tez

Congratulations, and welcome to the wonderful world of EGA :D

Well... the next thing now will be to find the right jumper settings for the second EGA card I have- haven't managed that yet.
The monitor will go on the 5162, which now has a 8513 VGA one (PS/2)

@ Tezza:
Yes, exactly that. And they were rather impressed by the amount of information I brought with me at the shop- not too usual when (if ever happens) people come in with 25 year old stuff.

Hi!

I´ve got an IBM 5154 EGA, too and once I´ve bought it it was nearly trash. The crt tube was damaged (broken) so I bought a NOS 1:1 replacement CRT from a specialized company in Germany. Next I found out that the power supply didn´t worked. I´ve opened the case and the circuit board came out in 3 pieces. I guess from heat or whatsoever, because nobody has opened it prior to me.

I´ve found a few bad capacitors which worked as jumpers :) and replaced them. Moreover I had to replace the CO2200, a thermistor. So this was quite easy, but the power supply still did nothing. Without schematics I desoldered a few components (it doesn´t make sence to check components in a circuit without schematics...) and found to bad MJE13005s. Now the power supply works excellent, but the monitor does not - unfortunately!

I am not sure what to do next. The wire colors for the horiz. and vertical deflection on the new crt are different to the original, so maybe there´s a fault. I´ve also called IBM to get the schematics. Their answer: Yes, they have it, but they won´t sell it to customers. My answer: Thanks, I won´t buy new IBM producs in the future :)

Hanno.

If you PM me your email adress I will send you the schematics, regards to others on this forum, who send it to me.

Alright - got it ;) I was extremely careful in testing this knob (25 kV doesn't sound fun to me) and I marked the original position before getting hands on it.

I guess I will replace the other capacitors in the PSU and see if this solves the problem. Think I can't afford a TV engineer...

Anyways, thank you for your comments Nige!

Even though you put the knob back to where it was, it could still be in the wrong place. Electronic components drift in value over time, and the other components could effect what that one was supposed to do. So it would be good to have it readjusted.

Sean, finding this thread extremely useful

Schematics

Schematics

Nicole, do you have a multimeter, or a scope, or anything like that ?

Also, could some one email me the schematics for the thing ? I tried Jorg's link and even though I tried two different browsers, I can't get the file. If anyone has it, PM me for an email address to send it to.
Thanks.
patscc

I got the file from Jorg (Thanky you!), however the (important) page 4 of the circuit is missing.

Yes, I do have a few multimeters, a logic tester and a scope as well..

Back to the wiring of the CRT: I don´t think I have made a fault with the wire colors - they are always the same in " new" designs...

Horiz. Coil (+) = Red
Horiz. Coil (-) = Blue
Vertical Coil (+) = Yellow
Vertical Coil (-) = Green

However I don´t know how to check my work: Depending on how I connect the DMM (set to VAC) to both wires of the horizontal deflection I get either 45V or 68V. But the DMM always shows a voltage of about 5,5V at the vertical deflection...

Hanno.

I'm missing page 4 as well.
Okay, if you can describe what the screen does when turning it on and turning it off. If there's a line, a dot, nothing...
Goody, you have a scope.
On scan0007, right where L1 is, there's the heater for the CRT. I'd find a handy spot on the circuit board (not on the CRT's connector, unless you get a steady hand, and see if you get something. Also, in a darkish room, you should see a faint orange glow in the neck area of the CRT.
I'd also take the scope to (with signal attached to the monitor) to points M,O,Q on scan0006 since these are the cathode drives, and see if you get any kind of video-looking waveform. If you happen to have anything that will generate color bars for the PC, that would be handy.
Since I don't have the page with the flyback & horizontal drive on it, is there anything that looks like a service switch ?
patscc

Hi Patscc,
thanks for the help!

My girlfriend went to the cinema this evening, so I put the 5154 in the living room to repair with more fun... :) :)

Would be great if I could see anything on the screen, but there´s nothing when I turn the monitor on or of. Neither a dot nor a line. I can hear the noise from the tube and this sound changes when I use the trimmer for the frequency.

What I do not see is the orange glow in the neck area of the CRT. I turned out the light, but the neck stays dark.

I will shoot a few pics of the scope later and post them here. I think, this will also be a help for others which want to repair a 5154 in the future.

heater

heater

See if you can verify a heater voltage. It's usually between 6 ~ 12 volts, though it could be AC or DC. Without sheet 4...
If you've got no heater voltage, if you can easily isolate the heater (if the connections to the tube are socketed to the board, or on the tube socket itself), you can check the resistance of it. It should be low( like 10 Ohms or lower). An open heater is rare, but happens. We really need sheet 4 of the schematics. Anyone out there have a copy they can scan ?
patscc

Back