• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Hook up an Imac to XT

70Hz is very much a part of the VGA standard.

480 lines 60Hz
400 lines 70Hz

Even my old '87 VGA display takes 70Hz at 400 lines.. DOS runs in 70Hz when in it's normal text mode.

Ooopss !

Ooopss !

evildragon is absolutely correct. I measuered around, and VGA pops into 720 x 400 on startup, even on an XT with a early 8-bit VGA card.
Guess it uses a 9 x 16 character cell to give 80 x 25 to give you 720 x 400.
Sorry about all the confusion. Don't know what I was thinking.
The flatpanel should still be able to display it, though.
patscc

Isn't this discussion about a CRT iMac? Those weren't flat panels.

The CRT iMacs are fixed frequency to the scanrates I listed previously.

earlier

earlier

JT64 said...I have a 22 inch LCD with both DVI and VGA that we use with our computers. But i have a slight memory of blowing a CRT monitor

This is something that came up briefly earlier in the thread.

patscc

This is something that came up briefly earlier in the thread.

patscc

Well i still have this gut feeling she will
miss me (after killing me) for blowing up another monitor, i simply do not dare:rolleyes:

JT

which card? The Imacs? Umm, you may actually have a point, but I'm not sure/don't remember exactly. The old school fixed frequency monitors required negative sync signals IIRC, and the Macs plugged right into these. I watched a guy more or less connect a 486/early pentium right up to one, but he may have fiddled w/some settings (the cards that came out in the mid to later 90's had LOTS of user configurable bios options, like specifying the polarity of the syncs, etc.). So that monitor may be looking for a negative signal, while a VGA puts out positive? In any event it's no big deal to invert the signals. There's bound to be specific info on that still on the web, or join a yahoo or goodle group (electronics_101 on yahoo is a very good place to get many questions answered. It may be as simple as using a hex inverter chip (7406?), but you'll want to know for sure what's entailed so you don't damage the monitor.
So you got a multisyncer. Congrats. Whether it'll like syncing down to 31.5khz remains to be seen. Listen for any odd noises, transformer making strange noises or whatever. I think the major problem would be the flyback transformer (not designed for that frequency) but I'm hardly an expert. No big loss if the thing blows up I guess LOLOLOL.
That card is one of the most basic ones out there. I wish I had 10 more! It will work in either an 8 or 16 bit slot/machine.
Good luck and don't kill yourself. Don't touch the anode (lead going strait into the crt near the top). And avoid touching any components, but especially capacitors, especially the larger *cans*.

Could you tell me howto configure the jumpers on card for basic VGA operation.

JT

what card

what card

I dug through the posts, so if I missed it, sorry.
What is the make/model of the VGA card in your XT ?

Come to think of it, what make/model are your monitors, including the flatpanel ?
patscc

Last edited:
I dug through the posts, so if I missed it, sorry.
What is the make/model of the VGA card in your XT ?

Come to think of it, what make/model are your monitors, including the flatpanel ?
patscc

I am not sure it could be a TSENG paradise, check out the picture in thread, but tipc had the same card if i got him right.

Right now i only have the fujitsu siemens L22W-7SD and an MCGA Victor GM-1288.

JT

That one http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/graphics...A-PVGA-1C.html looks like a winner.
Let me ask you a dumb question. This is a 16-bit card. You mentioned an XT. Are you trying to use this card in the XT, or am I just (once again) confused.

patscc

Yes, you do not think it will work?
But tripc comment strengthen my beleif?
"That card is one of the most basic ones out there. I wish I had 10 more! It will work in either an 8 or 16 bit slot/machine."

But maybe i'm just plain wrong.

JT

L22w-7sd

L22w-7sd

Attached are the monitor specs. It should support pretty much anything your VGA card can throw at it.
patscc

Attachments

• ds_SCALEOVIEW_L22W-7SD_V400.zip
    34.7 KB · Views: 1
Card

Card

Well, not all 16-bit VGA cards work in an 8-bit slot. Different question.
Is there something on there that says FCC ? Could I get the number ?
Also, could I get the other markings on the large chip & the BIOS (with the label) ?

Until someone identifies the card for sure, we're all just guessing.

patscc

Could you tell me howto configure the jumpers on card for basic VGA operation.

JT

I don't actually know what the jumper blocks on vga cards are fer (those that have them). My first VGA card was a somewhat generic NSI, that I payed a ridiculous 25$ for at a Computer Warehouse? (some old chain) blow out sale in Westchester, NJ. Don't remember if it had any, but I doubt it.
VGA's do use sense pins, mainly to tell the card if it's hooked to a mono or color monitor, IINM. You don't configure video modes for VGA cards like the older Macs do. The Macs up until some relatively late point (I think PPC and even possibly beyond) were fixed frequency, so you had to tell the card/mobo what kind of monitor (i.e fixed frequency monitor or even a multiscanner) was in play.
I don't know where my WD card is (I think it was in a Paradise package, w/a driver disk, but I never used them). Those WD cards should all be 8 or 16 bit ISA, no jumpering necessary. Very versatile card. I bought mine brand new at a TCF show a little over 10 years ago for 10$. The vendor had a bunch more. I'm still kicking myself. Ah well.
If anyone has a manual and especially the driver disks, please upload them somewhere.

Back