• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Guess who's getting a 4032 PET?

Druid6900

Veteran Member
Yup, that's right, it's MEEE!

I don't know what shape it's in, or what comes with it or if it is even operational (the person didn't know much about it. It's a friend of a friend sorta thing), but, it'll be here on Saturday, the price was good and I've never had one.

I have NO idea what I'm going to DO with it, but, I'll have one :)

I'll keep y'all apprised about it.

Druid, the PET is a cool vintage machine.

The keyboard layout will drive you nuts but you have to love that retro-styling.

Tez

Yup, congrats. They're fun just being able to look at. I think they just encapsulate the vintage computer image so well. Let us know what it does or how it looks.

Druid6900 moaned...Yeah, with my luck, it'll look great, come with everything and work like a charm
If it'll make your life easier, you swap it against mine that has a few rust spots and a leyboard that needs work. :)
patscc

If it'll make your life easier, you swap it against mine that has a few rust spots and a leyboard that needs work. :)
patscc
--------
They're usually pretty easy to clean up and revive one way or another, but if not I *think* I have a couple of spares somewhere. Of course it'd take me a year or so to ship one out; right, Dru?

Ok, I got the little beastie today and it's a 4032-N, with the 12 inch (diagonal) screen.

It's in pretty good condition (just needs a little vacuuming inside and some cleaning on the outside.

It works and, other than a missing left shift keycap and a broken spacebar keyswitch (seems to be stuck down as the cursor marches across and down the screen) it's in great condition. I wonder where, in Canada, I might be able to get a keycap and keyswitch for this sucker :)

It's only the unit, but, I think I'm going to contact the seller and see if there is another piece as there was a drive cable coiled up inside the unit.

I USED to have a 8050 unit, but, it ended up in Toronto's Home for Wayward PET Equipment a while ago.......

Keyswitch? Do you mean the rubber plunger hitting the circuit board? In worst case, I might have one or two. It would be a light item but of course it'd be cheaper to obtain one within Canada.

(elaboration) Are you able to provide images in a posting so we can see this venerable machine

Tez
---------------
Sorry, Tez, that "Eh?" was meant for Dru. Just being a smart ass: since I'm the one who said he had a spare keyboard and also the guy who got the disk drive, I was just saying, "who, me???" (pretending ignorance, 'cause I don't want to give back the drive ;-) )

@Tez; I'll do my best to get some shots of it tomorrow.

@MikeS; I would never ask for something back that I gave someone, Mike. It was a fair trade and I'm sticking by it.

@Carlsson; Yeah, MikeS probably has a spare keyswitch and keycap that I can get from him, hopefully, before the damn system is declared an antique LOL

@MikeS; I would never ask for something back that I gave someone, Mike. It was a fair trade and I'm sticking by it.

@Carlsson; Yeah, MikeS probably has a spare keyswitch and keycap that I can get from him, hopefully, before the damn system is declared an antique LOL
------------
Yeah, no problem with the keycap & switch. That 4032 is already an antique; the way I look at it is if I take longer getting stuff to you it becomes more valuable so I'm doing you a bigger favour and you'll be happier and more grateful, right? As long as neither of us dies of old age in the meantime of course...

*Practically* speaking the keycap & switch are probably more valuable than an 8050 disk drive anyway; unlike all the other CBM drives the 8050/8250 disks can't be read/written in a PC etc. because of the 100TPI drives which are *mechanically* incompatible, so unless you've got a pile of 8050 disks you're probably better off using something else for storage. Hope your source still has whatever used to be connected to the other end of that cable though.

Last edited:
As promised, pictures;

Attachments

• PICT0022.JPG
    PICT0022.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 1
  • PICT0023.JPG
    PICT0023.JPG
    33.1 KB · Views: 1
  • PICT0024.JPG
    PICT0024.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 1