• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Tiger Learning Computer as an Apple II clone

barythrin

Veteran Member
Sort of an odd and I apologize for the stretch topic but I was hunting around (ok actually I was searching for info on something I saw listed for sale) which got me nice and off track reading about the Tiger Learning Computer. I'm not sure why they cost so much since it was essentially released as a toy computer for kids but it seems to be an Apple II underneath and from what I understand even runs a version of Prodos under the GUI toy OS and has 128K of RAM.

I ran out of googling time here at the office but does anyone know if this has been fully hacked yet? Has anyone here played with one or got that alleged Internet module for it or got themselves back into basic on one?

I think it may be a new toy to hunt for a little bit if I can track one down at a cheap price.

- John

I think you are right on track, but I don't know that much about these. I do believe they are worth so much because of the fact that they are rare and where a computer format that was reborn as a toy. I haven't heard of any hacks, but you might want to be careful not to devalue it by hacking on it.

Vince

I read a little more info about these last night and yeah it looks like they may not have been released fully to the public. I'm a little confused because I see mention of them at Toys R Us so perhaps the distribution wasn't enough to get a lot of folks hacking at them. I'll just keep my eyes peeled I guess and see if I can somehow snag one still.

I read a little more info about these last night and yeah it looks like they may not have been released fully to the public. I'm a little confused because I see mention of them at Toys R Us so perhaps the distribution wasn't enough to get a lot of folks hacking at them. I'll just keep my eyes peeled I guess and see if I can somehow snag one still.
According to the banner in this image, the Tiger Learning Computer was discontinued after only being test-marketed in four cities.

http://www.vintage-computer.com/images/vcf7/tigerlearning2.jpg

I was just looking this up, and the MSRP was $150? It cost $150 to make an Apple IIe clone in 1997? Still, I want one. Test marketed in St. Louis? Anyone here have one?

No way is it worth that much. It's not like it never left the prototype stage, it had a limited release.

I have one, but missing all the carts. I think one with all carts sold on fleaBay a year or two ago for a couple of bills, so the "estimated value" per Christies seem... excessive.

Last edited:
Back