• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Exceptional 5150, EGA, 5154, Expansion Unit for sale

jeb951s

Hi,
I am selling the following system that I have had since new. System has not been used in the last 20+ years (was in an enclosed computer cabinet) in our "bonus room".

Very clean, dust free system. Note, soon after joining IBM (1987), they let me take home an IBM PC AT so I could work (SW Developer) at home. So after that I did not use this system much at all, then got an IBM Aptiva when the kids got old enough to use a computer, so this system was only used from late 1984 to 87.

• 5150 - 256 KB on motherboard
  • EGA - 64KB - also have some copies of technical articles I made copies of back in 1985 (PC Tech Journal, has bios/register info and some ASM and BAS program listings, as well as an article written by Peter Norton from PC Magazine).
  • 5154 - Enhance Color Display All original, never opened, no smell, popping, etc. that I have read about.
  • 5161 - Expansion Unit with 1 IMI 10GB hard drive.
  • Expansion unit card and cable (very good condition)
  • IBM keyboard (have keyboard box)
  • DOS 2.1, Basic 3.0, IBM/MS Multiplan, DOS 3.0
  • Box (will include) of and installed SW: Games, editors, utilities (norton, etc), programing languages (C, Pascal, Fortan, SmallTalk, Lisp, Prolog). Some may work with 5150, others may only work with PC AT.
I recently got this system out and hooked up, everything stated right up The disk drive was slow to spin up to full speed, but since, it spins up quickly with a slight squeak when it comes to a stop (some advice to oil, but leaving that to next owner, could it also be the "brake"?).

I ran the diagnostics continusely 10 times, no reported errors.

Check out the pictures at this link:
http://home.rr.com/jeffbarnett

Will sell for best offer over $500 + actual shipping costs.
Would prefer to have entire system go to one buyer, but will consider breaking up. Post your suggestions and if others interested in "leftovers" then we can do that too.

BTW, I am located in Raleigh NC (still work for IBM).

Jeff

I really mean you no offense, but the system is not worth $500. It is an exceptional package (especially the Expansion Unit and 5154...), but not Worth $500. Maybe $200-250 for everything, I'd guess.

I think you might be worng here, A working 5154 display it-self sold for $250. A 5150 and 5161 exp uint missing the cable with just a mono display went for 400.00. It's worth it for sure the sales I talk about were done on ebay!

I really mean you no offense, but the system is not worth $500. It is an exceptional package (especially the Expansion Unit and 5154...), but not Worth $500. Maybe $200-250 for everything, I'd guess.

5150 blasphemy!

5150 blasphemy!

The IBM 5150 on your home page, has a hard drive in it, since
the 5150 never came with a hard drive, this is blasphemy!

:jumping7:

Two cards are required. Extender and Receiver, plus cable.

QUOTE=gerrydoire;88457]The IBM 5150 on your home page, has a hard drive in it, since
the 5150 never came with a hard drive, this is blasphemy!

:jumping7:[/QUOTE]

Not so if the hard drives are confined to the Expansion Unit. IBM made them the official hard drive option for the 5150.

Just wanted to pipe in but very nice system :) Little out of my price range (more-so since I have one minus the monitor and expansion unit) but it's a very nice collective system. Good luck! You might consider putting it on the VCGM or another auction site to get some folks fighting over it if you don't get an offer you like here.

- John

Thanks, some other folks pointed out VCGM. Also some folks have expressed interest in sub-sets. Thought I would offer up entire system first...then go more complex. As my first computer...I guess I am a bit sentimental about breaking it up. ;)

Jeff

Just wanted to pipe in but very nice system :) Little out of my price range (more-so since I have one minus the monitor and expansion unit) but it's a very nice collective system. Good luck! You might consider putting it on the VCGM or another auction site to get some folks fighting over it if you don't get an offer you like here.

- John

Thanks, some other folks pointed out VCGM. Also some folks have expressed interest in sub-sets. Thought I would offer up entire system first...then go more complex. As my first computer...I guess I am a bit sentimental about breaking it up. ;)

Jeff

I had a 5154 a couple of years ago in mint condition. It got stolen, along with 3/4 of my collection at the time. It took me a few years just to find one in that nice of a shape, and then it was gone in an instance. :(

If per chance you cant sell the whole ... I'd consider buying the 5161 setup from you... been looking for one for ages.

Normally I hate shooting myself and all the collectors within a 20-foot radius of me in the foot, but that setup was easily worth $500 and I don't think you should have broken it up. The EGA monitor + working 5161/cards/cable is $400 right there, the rest is gravy. I too would like to know if you ever sold it.

I have collected most of what I have coveted in life, but the one thing that eludes me is a working 5161 setup. I was even so desperate as to bid on this crime against nature (a 5161 case converted into a working XT) and couldn't even win that.

In two years when our debt is paid off, I might just put a bounty on the damn thing in a final blast of frivolous collector spending.

I agree, that's what I told the guy in an PM, hold strong guy it's worth it... Don't split it up!

Normally I hate shooting myself and all the collectors within a 20-foot radius of me in the foot, but that setup was easily worth $500 and I don't think you should have broken it up. The EGA monitor + working 5161/cards/cable is $400 right there, the rest is gravy. I too would like to know if you ever sold it.

I have collected most of what I have coveted in life, but the one thing that eludes me is a working 5161 setup. I was even so desperate as to bid on this crime against nature (a 5161 case converted into a working XT) and couldn't even win that.

In two years when our debt is paid off, I might just put a bounty on the damn thing in a final blast of frivolous collector spending.

Hi, sorry for not updating right away...I sold and shipped the system last week to a very happy buyer who is looking forward to using it. Got a notice that it arrived safe and sound.

The price was 500 + shipping.

Thanks to all the advice on via the forums and PMs.

Jeff

Very Happy Indeed! :)

Very Happy Indeed! :)

As you now know I purchased the units,and I might say they were kept in PERFECT shape.AND will continue to stay that way as best as I can maintain them.Unless of course faith deals me the same blow it did to the original owner.I pray not.
I have been very busy obtaining the parts I need for my next project whihc is actually 3-fold.
1-Obtaining the very rare original 5150-1 st BIOS- Guess what I did!
Paid a dear price but it was worth it. :) as you will see in the coming months,now what am I missig O yes the Big Brother on STEROIDS ---
the 5531-FOUND HIM!!! :)
And so the family is complete-now they just have to settle down and talk to each other with the CLUSTER adapter-yes thats the ticket- of course the big brother is allways doing some kind of experiment with his Data Acquisition and Control Adapter card,but even he will have to answer the call of grandfather 5150-hes so old you know it would take more then 8 times his age to make a MILLION,he barely makes the 6 digits.And he can be tempermental you know only wanting the 160 disks :) Well there calling me something about puting in the COPY 11 Option Guess I got to help them Bye for now I will keep you updated :)

Back