• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Jumpers on IBM cards

per

Veteran Member
There are several IBM cards with jumpers, and many of them is not even documented. Some got hints (like why exactly I/O address 278h-27Fh are reserved in the TechRef), but some aren't even mentioned in the schematics (talking of P3 of the CGA card).

I'll write the ones I figured out so far:

IBM Printer adapter, J1 (I/O address select):
Shorted = I/O address 378h - 37Fh
Seperated = I/O address 278h - 27Fh

This jumper doesn't really do anything since it is permanently shorted by a line on the PCB. To take use of it, you have to manually and carefully cut the line with a finer tool (chainsaw doesn't work) and solder in a 2-pin header on the jumper pad.

IBM Color Graphics adapter, P3 (Font select):
Shorted = Thin font
*Seperated = Thick font

On some cards, the headers for this jumper are missing. To use this feautre, solder in a 2-pin header on the jumper pad.

IBM Monochrome Display adapter, J1 (Unknown):
Shorted = Select the CGA font but disables the clock signal
*Seperated = Normal operation

I really don't know too mutch about this jumper. Might have been implemented before they decided to build the CGA as a standalone adapter instead of including it in the MDA design.

IBM Async. adapter, J1 (XT Slot 8 compability):
*Shorted = Operates in Slot 8 of the XT
Seperated = Does not operate in Slot 8 of the XT

Haven't tested how well it works in anything else than slot 8 with the jumper installed.

IBM 5 1/4" Floppy Disk Drive adapter (Clock enable):
*Shorted = Clock enabled
Seperated = Clock disabled

I really don't understnd why this jumper is included, as the adapter wouldn't problably work without it.

A lot of jumpers and DIP switches on older PC hardware (not just from IBM) are vestiges of in-house testing and development, such as features that were planned to be implemented but turned out to be too buggy or were dropped from the design spec due to corporate decisions, and were either completely disabled, or left in place but not officially supported.

My CompuAdd 810, a very late-model Turbo XT clone from 1990, has several jumpers and DIP switches on the motherboard that are simply marked as "Reserved" in the documentation. In some cases they don't even tell you what position these jumpers are supposed to be in; I had to write that down for myself!

Back