• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Not quite as large a collection as it used to be

PhilA

Hi all,

Might as well properly introduce my computers, so here goes:

Viglen B, keyboard on coily cord, couple roms etc. Twin 40/80 floppies. I forget the exact specifications of it now.

BBC Master Turbo, 65C102 co-pro. Cumana 40/80 floppy, Acorn Winchester 32Mb hard disk. Microvitec CUB monitor. Pair of Cambridge Micro Robotics EV-1 cameras. Mentor robot arm with trainer hand-held arm.

Sinclair ZX81, dKtronics expansion keyboard, MicroGrasp robot arm.

Commodore PC20-III with an 8087 for CAD drawing. Philips EGA monitor and added in an ATi EGA Wonder, plus some off-brand Ad-Lib sound card.

MicroProfessor MP1 trainer board. Many fun hours writing pseudo-assembler for the Z80. Output a couple of LED's, a 7x7segment red LED display and a loudspeaker, but had the capability to save to tape and had a bit of breadboard space too.

(Forget the year of this one) DESMOND trainer board, used by the Open University. If my memory serves that stood for 'Digital Electronic System Made Of Nifty Devices'. Quite high level programming.

I think I might still have a PC-adVance V20 processor IBM clone somewhere. If not the whole thing just the board, I think I still have the manual for the thing. Still got a Hercules IBM greenscreen for it which the driver chip died. Worked at last count for about 3 minutes then the raster died. Also a small amberscreen Lucky Goldstar Hercules screen which was very light- possibly designed to go above a cash register or something.

Sadly I had a whole box of 8-bit parts (memory boards on ISA bus, most of a Samsung SPC-3000, plethora of MFM hard disk controller cards, thousands of 360k floppy drive controller cards etc) but they disappeared as part of a job lot, and I have a feeling they aren't in storage any more... :(

--Phil

Sounds an awfully British collection for someone living in louisiana, are you ex-pat (and had a large removal bill) or is there some other reason why you have these machines?

Yes, it is a particularly British collection- most of it is sitting in my parents attic in Bristol; I moved out here a few years back.

Occasionally I get a complaint that the weight in the attic is making the walls crack..

Welcome! If it makes you feel any better, I don't think you're the only Brit moving to USA leaving most of his collection behind, possibly looking for inexpensive ways to ship it.

Back