• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What do you need to run GEOS?

Raven

Veteran Member
I realize you need a floppy with the software on it, but aside from that and the C64, what is required, and what is recommended, to run GEOS?

I'd assume that a mouse and RAM expansion are optional, but recommended.. Does "REU" stand for "RAM Expansion Unit", and is it appropriate for GEOS? 1351 is the Commodore model number for the official mouse, yes?

What's the latest version of GEOS? Would it be better to run an older version on a C64 without a mouse and REU?

Edit: Oh, and are there other operating systems available? I know there's the newer Contiki OS (also for Apple II), and CP/M (with the Z80 coprocessor).. do those need Mouse/RAM? Any others?

If you really plan to do something "serious" with GEOS, you need two or more disk drives and a RAM expansion cart, the standard REU,s should work, but there's a cart called GEOSRam with 512K extra RAM designed especially for GEOS.

The latest version would be GEOS 2.5, but I think that it's only available in german. So the latest english version is 2.0.

You can use GEOS with one disk drive and a joystick, but I wouldn't recommend it.

.. and I happen to have a GeoRAM 512 up for sale this week, together with GEOS 2.0r and some other applications. :-D It might be unwanted advertising to post the link in this thread, but if you like send a PM and I'll post a link. And yes, I would ship internationally although postage would be quite hefty.

Back