• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanting IBM 5154 EGA monitor

mk553

If anyone has/knows where I can get one of these hard-to-find items (so it seems), would be grateful!

(On a side note, I wonder if they were ever sold with XTs, or just with ATs and later?)

The AT came around 1984, EGA in 1985.
I guess, in 1985 you could still buy an XT and additionally EGA- but it might have been an odd combination.

The AT and also EGA must have been very expensive - so either money is an item, or not.

It might help if you put your location in your profile- shipping old monitors by mail has been proven to be risky.

Thanks for the info, Jorg. Being in Texas, USA, I forgot about people being all the way in the Netherlands here!

I wonder, from a collector's point of view, whether an XT with a 5154 EGA would be a bad thing? Similar to placing 1985 corvette seats in a 1965?

I wonder, from a collector's point of view, whether an XT with a 5154 EGA would be a bad thing? Similar to placing 1985 corvette seats in a 1965?

The 5154 will work fine attached to a CGA card on an XT and gives the
ability to also use EGA graphics with the EGA card. And the monitors look identical except for the wording on the IBM badge. Unless you can find a 5153
CGA much cheaper, I'd go with the 5154.

If the seats are comfier... it depends on your personal tastes ;)

Thanks for the info, Jorg. Being in Texas, USA, I forgot about people being all the way in the Netherlands here!

Not really, but that would be like hooking VGA up to it :mrgreen:

Most common combination for the XT was the 5153 CGA display. Although you could buy an XT with a 5154, the price difference meant that people would just go straight to an AT...

5154's are hard to find in working condition

I know this is a pretty old thread, but just wanted to write to say that I finally (!) found one of these (IBM EGA 5154), and it's pretty awesome. I never had one before, so I just assumed the quality would be the same as CGA, but with more color capability. But no, it looks closer to VGA quality, and doesn't hurt my eyes like staring at CGA would. I'm able to play more games, so I'm pretty happy with it.

Anyway, I did put it on my IBM XT (one that's been beefed up a bit with a 286 processor), even if it isn't a 'matching set' so to speak. But it all looks like it goes together, and is in great condition.

Would totally recommend one to anyone. :)

Back