• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

now the sound card...

ok, ive disconnected the cdrom, tried every position of the jumpers, ran diagnose.exe and still nothing :(
what now? :(

the only thing that you can faintly hear is music on the diagnose test and in games, but with far too much noise...

From what it sounds like, you need a new sound card.

Correct me if i'm wrong but that's what it sounds like...

maybe.. but i don't know what kind of soundcard would work in this computer...

at least i could fix the msgsrv.dll , windows not loading problem, by installing the win95 drivers... still no sound though...

list off the expansion slot types and your OS you will be using with this computer and we can help you find another sound card.

ok, i'm no expert... i know that i have a few pci ports... i think... just to be sure, here's some info on my motherboard http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherb...ECH-INTERNATIONAL-CORPORATION-486-MB-101.html (thanks modem7 for that) it says "The board has 4 8MHz ISA slots and 3 PCI slots with room between them so they're not shared like on some motherboards."

i'm running win98, and it runs pretty smoothly up until now... i was thinking of getting win98 SE so i can put a few usb ports... if i can... (i'm not sure yet). but i'll use a lot of DOS as well... if i have problems, ill switch to win95, maybe... but i guess it doesnt make much difference...

connection

connection

I might have missed this, so if it's been covered, my bad.

1. Are you sure you have your audio cable plugged into the right hole ?
2. What are you trying to drive ? Headphones ? Amp ? Line-in on a pre-amp ? If you can describe your audio chain from the card onwards, perhaps the problem isn't with the card, but rather how you're connecting to it.

patscc

yup, on speakers output... but i've tried every hole just in case...
i've got a set of speakers, there's a cable plugged into the card, and it goes into a sort of central speaker (subwoofer?) and then theres a cable going into the (2) speakers. i also tried headphones.

powered ?

powered ?

The central subwoofer is powered, right ?
Do you have access to another , preferably older machine you can test the soundcard in ?
My memory's a bit rusty, but I want to say the CT2660 isn't a pseudo-PnP card. There's a possibility that your BIOS is not mapping IRQ & DMA resources to the ISA bus.
Forget Windows for now.
Does any DOS software volume control to the card work ?
Does anyone have link to the user guide ? I'd like to see it the BIOS will let you remap resources manually.
Could you give a bit more detail on the loaded drivers. The sounds a lot like Windows installing the incorrect driver for a legacy (ISA) device, which it had a habit of doing.
Where are you located ? Is there anyone close by you borrow a card from, or take your's over to test it out ?
patscc

yep, its powered.

well, i dont think i can... i have my laptop and another computer, but i think its too new and doesnt have any of the old pci slots.

i really don't know about the bios, but its a ct2770 card...besides, the bios doesnt work that good since i sort of broke the battery (long story). but the sound didnt work even before that.

i'm not really using windows anymore. i always start up on DOS. and i dont even now if windows had any drivers before i installed the ones you gave me. i don't get sound anywhere anyway... as soon as i hit the start button a lot of noise comes from the speakers... its sort of synchronized with the stuff that happens when the pc boots (when it checks the memory, the floppy, etc)

i don't know what else to do :(

Msd

Msd

Don't know what version of DOS you have, but if it's 6 or higher, there's a utility called MSD on there that will tell you what's in your system. If you have it, can you run
Code:
MSD /f:c:\1.txt
with the soundcard in, and
Code:
MSD /f:c:\0.txt
with the soundcard out, and post the two files ?

If you can easily change the IRQ the card uses, try that first, if not, let's try to find out more about your system.

patscc

Ct2770 irq

Ct2770 irq

You run a program from the Creative drivers disk. Let's wait, though, 'til we see the output from MSD so we can see what's running in your system.
While you're at it, there's a bunch of jumpers on the CT2770 (or should be, rows with pointy pins sticking up and black plastic shorting caps on them). Could you either jot down the settings, or take a couple of pics so we can see the settings ?
If you're jotting them down, the a reference for them can be found here:
http://stason.org/TULARC/pc/sound-c...ABS-INC-Sound-card-SOUNDBLASTER-VALUE-16.html

If you look at the diagram in the link, you should plug headphones into CN4, or the connection to the sub & satellites into CN3.

patscc

ok, i found the MSD utility and i've got the .txt files.. but i cant get them out of the pc yet, as i've only got 1 floppy drive... i'll have to find a way to get them to a pc that has internet...

Back