• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Toshiba T4600 with missing screws

krebizfan

Veteran Member
I found a Toshiba T4600 recently. The video runs and I can get to the BIOS but the hard disk and floppy are not recognised. However, in opening it up, I noticed that the metal shield beneath the keyboard was missing several screws. Is it possible that the missing screws that hold down the shield and run through the connectors for the drives could be causing problems?

I have been having problems finding a replacement metric screw and if replacing screws won't have any benefit, I can stop searching for them.

Hiya, welcome to the forums.

Though I never have owned that model, I have never heard of the shield screws affecting operation. It just makes it rattle sometimes. Unless I miss my guess it won't affect the computer's operation save for a not-so-good ground.

As long as there is at least one screw in place that should be sufficient to ground the shield. The rest of the screws keep it from moving and rattling.

Maybe one of the other screws is wedged in somewhere and shorting something out.
Could that be causing your problem.

I was hoping to find some problem that wasn't a controller chip or cable problem. Doesn't seem likely though.

Back