• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Loaded IMSAI ?

doe0731

Hello all,

I am going to be selling an IMSAI 8080 for a neighbor. He is the original owner/builder of the computer, and he loaded it up with lots of extra options. I'm wondering whether to sell the system as a whole or as individual parts. I would appreciate an honest assessment of what this is worth.
Thank you much.

Here's a list of what I've got:

IMSAI 8080 S/N 003110 - all switches and LEDs work. From front to back
slot board
1 Main CPU
2 RAM-4A
3 RAM-4A
4 RAM-4A
5 RAM-4a
7 econoRAM 32Kx8
9 RAM 114a
10 extender card
12 PROM card
13 PIC-8 priority interrupt card
14 S100 Bus terminator card
16 floppy controller card
17 2 SIO Serial I/O card

In addition, there are some additional boards
2 RAM-4A cards
SIO Rev 3 card
PIO Rev 2
Cromemco D+7A I-O card

a dual 8" floppy drive unit of Shugart Model 801 drives
S/N B31046 and B30841

and several boxes of 8 inch floppies with CPM, basic etc.

eBay valuation

eBay valuation

Have a look at the one just sold on eBay - less detail on the components and probably less "loaded" - but only atrtracted 1 bid and went for $1600.

eBay Item no. 280348295509

I am sure your intentions are sound ... but in Europe I would say that if I ever see on eBay ...

I have xxx and I'm selling it for a friend. Well the goods are taken to be dodgy in some way.

So IMHO, when you post your eBay ad just say that YOU are selling the item , and don't elaborate.

regards marcus b.

@amouse: I've familiar with the "for a friend" line. You're probably right, but eBay is different because not everyone has, or can get, an eBay account. :)

I am sure your intentions are sound ... but in Europe I would say that if I ever see on eBay ...

I have xxx and I'm selling it for a friend. Well the goods are taken to be dodgy in some way.

So IMHO, when you post your eBay ad just say that YOU are selling the item , and don't elaborate.

regards marcus b.

Thanks for the advice marcus. In this case, I really am selling for a friend. I will probably do just as you suggest. -)

Interesting and good point Marcus. The "I'm selling this for a friend" is an interesting way to avoid responsibility for an as-is or incorrect item as "how would I know?.. it's not mine." although I haven't had a huge problem but that is an interesting point. The other is also that it may not be in the seller's possession which can also be a hassle.

Either way, let us know when you post it and feel free to put a link in our auction area.

Good luck! :)

BTW, didn't see anyone mention this but if you can get some pictures of it working (if your friend knows it works and how to use it) that'll increase the value and auction quite a bit.

- John

Back