• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

AT power supplies

AT power supplies

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • What's an AT Power Supply? (see post below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TandyMan100

Veteran Member
See the poll above.

I just got a computer (two, actually, plus a PIII) with an AT power supply for $5 at a garage sale. I kept one (486 or an early Pentium) to tinker with, and am having a time trying to not get shocked.

The AT form-factor power supply has a switch that directly interrupts the mains power. This can lead to shocks, and short-circuits if the switch is hooked up wrong.

I take it you're not getting zapped by mains/line voltage? I've not really been shocked by any power supplies, but I've gotten a bit of a tingle from some equipment when things weren't properly grounded.

i always make sure to discharge any leftover voltage left in PSU's beefore working with them. For ATX-type, i unplug and hold the power button in. For AT-type, i unplug and put a screwdriver inbetween the ground an one of thw prongs to the side. So no, i've never been zapped by a PSU.

Can't say I've been shocked but like Cosam I've gotten a a good tingle from poorly grounded equipment.

Can't say I've been shocked but like Cosam I've gotten a a good tingle from poorly grounded equipment.
I had a good one recently when hooking up serial ports between a well grounded PDP-11 and a not-so-well grounded modern PC. Got a bit of a buzz off of the metal shell of a DB25 connector. Not serious, but enough to let you know something's not right! The problem in these parts is that most household power outlets just don't have an earth connection. I much prefer the UK system with fused three-pin plugs everywhere.

Back