• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Gateway 2000 4dx2-66

Frozen001

Experienced Member
I am looking for the manual on a gateway 2000 4dx2-66 I have. Tried Gateways website, but not luck. it is in a slim line style desktop case.

While I don't have a manual, I have the same machine.
What do you want to know? How to get into the BIOS?

Andy

While I don't have a manual, I have the same machine.
What do you want to know? How to get into the BIOS?

Andy

Well I have had this kicking around for a few months and want to get it up an running.

It doesn't have a hard drive know and want to get one that would be similar in size to what it would have come from the factory. Also I will be looking for a monitor, so typical monitors that this would have come from. I suspect it would be of the 15 or 17 inch variety. There are several gateway monitors on ebay, so if I buy one I want it to be atypical for a factory setup.

A user guide would be very helpful for things like accessories available of that vintage.

Well like I said... what was a typical hard drive capacity when purchased new? What monitor sizes? I would like to have an a-typical configuration as if I had owned it new.

A user guide would be very helpful for things like accessories available of that vintage.
Sorry, can't help you there. I don't have any ephemera.

I think I had a Gateway-branded 15" monitor; probably a CrystalScan 1572-FS.
I no longer have the monitor; it died many years ago.

The BIOS tells me my hard drive is 515MB formatted so I imagine it's either a 520 or a 540.
No idea what make/model, and the machine is at the bottom of a pile
so I won't be looking inside anytime soon. :)

To get into the BIOS, press Ctrl-Alt-ESC.
You'll need that when you install your hard drive.

Enjoy,
Andy

Well like I said... what was a typical hard drive capacity when purchased new? What monitor sizes? I would like to have an a-typical configuration as if I had owned it new.
I threw mine away, but I believe the standard screen size was something like 12-inch or 13-inch, and the HD size was something like a gigabyte when upgraded. Maybe 500MB standard. Phuzzy memory.

I used to have a Gateway 2000 monitor, it was 12-14". From about the same timeframe as the 486/Pentium. If it has a 486, I can suspect it to have a 240MB-520MB HDD, 1GB max factory, depending on what year the machine sold. Couple megs of RAM, something like 4-16. My 1996 Packard Bell has 16MB, and for WFW 3.11, that'd be on the high side. So really, 8MB sounds reasonable.

--Ryan

The 486-66 Gateway I have came with a 1 GB SCSI drive and 15 inch monitor. The manual suggests the stock hard disk was 500 MB SCSI; the models shipped with IDE probably had smaller drives. The monitor reached 1280x1024 resolution so its likely the video card can too. Lucky me, the manual turned up in recent cleaning.

The somewhat different piece for a Gateway system of that period was a programmable keyboard with a bunch of extra keys.

The 486-66 Gateway I have came with a 1 GB SCSI drive and 15 inch monitor. The manual suggests the stock hard disk was 500 MB SCSI; the models shipped with IDE probably had smaller drives. The monitor reached 1280x1024 resolution so its likely the video card can too. Lucky me, the manual turned up in recent cleaning.

The somewhat different piece for a Gateway system of that period was a programmable keyboard with a bunch of extra keys.

Well this one had an IDE drive (got one on the way), as well as a 4x CD ROM. I have a standard gateway keyboard, and there are several Gateway 15" monitors on e-bay right now hopefully I can get one of them.

So I powered the gateway up today, and it need a power supply fan. Any one have a good source??

your best shot is to get a new power supply. IF you want to work in potentially dangerous conditions, you can install a new fan yourself. If you had some pics of the power supply, I might be able to send you a new power supply that works right.

I am just looking for a fan... There is nothing lethal/dangerous in a of power supply as long as it is unplugged... It is not like working on a tv with high voltage capacitors.

Open it up and measure the fan size. On mine, the fan seems to be a fairly standard 80mm design.

Now, the power supply itself has an unusual design that I couldn't find a matching replacement a decade ago when it started acting flakey. But then Gateway changed parts suppliers alot so the model I have probably differs from others.

There is nothing lethal/dangerous in a of power supply as long as it is unplugged... It is not like working on a tv with high voltage capacitors.
Probably not lethal, but a PC PSU can potentially give you a good bite, even when unplugged. It's not a bad idea to discharge the bigger capacitors when working on them. You shouldn't need to be near anything dangerous just to replace a fan, but it's worth staying on the cautious side.

Pulled the PSU apart this morning... it is a standard 80mmx80mmx25mm fan. I ordered one up from newegg.com $15.00... I spent a few extra dollars to get a "quiet" model... we will see...

Other than the fan.. the computer seems fine... I put a 600MB HD in it and loaded up dos 6.22... I love the simplicity of the old machines...

The other day I tried installing my old copy of SimCity (The original) and for some reason the text was all gibberish (i.e. random characters). The game worked correctly other than that. What would cause this?

Sounds like something memory related would cause that- just a guess here.

Back