• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Microsoft "Greeneye" Mouse 1983 Problem

Raven

Veteran Member
I have one of these:

mouse1.jpg
\

But instead of having a 25-pin female or 9-pin female, or even 25-pin male like this picture, mine is a 9-pin male. This will not hook up to any serial port known to man. I tried adapting it and could not (though part of my cable might have been an unmarked null modem..) I don't have the money for a simple gender changer (>.>) are there any alternatives? I only have db25 changers and null modem cables, and one db25 cable of unknown type..

Have you considered that it is not a serial mouse, but it is a bus mouse instead? If it is, that is an entirely different interface than a serial interface.

The Microsoft Booster sidecar for the PCjr used a bus version on this mouse. If it came from a PC it should have a matching interface card in the machine. Do not plug this in until you determine if it is a serial or a bus mouse.

Were it a bus mouse, I gather, it'd have a DIN connector of some kind.. no? (I'd never heard of bus mice until you said this)

My version of this mouse is a bus mouse with the connector you describe. DIN connectors did not appear until later. Actually, for a mouse this early, almost nothing was standardized.

Could an adapter be made to make it work with serial? If not I suppose I'm in for a long hunt for a MS-BUS card of some kind.

Back