• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New finds

nblsavage

Experienced Member
So the computer gods both smiled and frowned on me today.

I saw an ad on craigslist for a garage sale in Vancouver, WA - they listed "vintage Amiga and Atari stuff" so I emailed them to get the details. They had an Amiga 500 w/box, manuals, external floppy and software + a couple Amiga programming books. On the Atari side they had an 800XL with the DOS disks (but alas no floppy drive). He gave them to me :)
So, after that we decided to cruse around and hit some of the local thrift stores. No major finds but I did come across a filthy Atari 130XE and a copy of Space Channel 5 (Dreamcast) at their Goodwill outlet, I haven't tested it yet.

The frown came when I tried to re-partition my A2000's HD. It created a couple of corrupt partitions, which seemed to work after I re-formatted them, but then, after I re-installed WB 3.1, the drive decided to die, it locks up the SCSI bus on the A2000 (steady HD light) - oh well.

A find is a find. Sounds like you scored pretty good to me. Broken? I would look upon it as an opportunity! It *needs* your help, especially the Amiga.

I find too much fun in fixing things I guess. If it were me, I would consider it a pretty good score. And the Atari 130 seems a bonus, it needs time and love!

What's the make and model number of the HD in the A2000?

I pulled a Quantum 80S out of the box of HDs to test the other day and I thought to myself "I think this is the drive they used in one of the Amigas" I know I have a dozen or so of the 3.5" 830kb floppy drives they used in some of those suckers.

What's the make and model number of the HD in the A2000?

I pulled a Quantum 80S out of the box of HDs to test the other day and I thought to myself "I think this is the drive they used in one of the Amigas" I know I have a dozen or so of the 3.5" 830kb floppy drives they used in some of those suckers.

It was an old Macintosh drive that someone stuck on the 2091 an Apple branded IBM DPES-31080 (1 GB) I hit ebay but compatible drives are few and far between.

A find is a find. Sounds like you scored pretty good to me. Broken? I would look upon it as an opportunity! It *needs* your help, especially the Amiga.

I find too much fun in fixing things I guess. If it were me, I would consider it a pretty good score. And the Atari 130 seems a bonus, it needs time and love!

Don't get me wrong, I'm plenty happy with the score, but was just amused by the fact that the pluses were counterbalanced by my A2000 flaking out.

A local guy I know from another forum posted he had an Amiga 1200 and more to give away. He didn't get it to boot, so he wanted to get rid of it.

I picked it up today, and powered it on once I got home. It booted like a charm, using my own SCART video cable. Perhaps he previously tried RF but never got the tuning correct. In the box were also a C64C, three C2N's, a couple of C64 tape games, a couple of loose Sega Megadrive/Genesis games, a label maker (still working), a plentitude of random cables, joysticks and a big box of 3.5" DD floppy disks. All in all a nice haul, I'll sort it through later.

Oh yes, I never mentioned that other big Commodore 64 haul I got for free a little over a month ago.. like three big boxes of software, hardware and a 1702 monitor. A lot of the games were already sold.

A local guy I know from another forum posted he had an Amiga 1200 and more to give away. He didn't get it to boot, so he wanted to get rid of it.

I picked it up today, and powered it on once I got home. It booted like a charm, using my own SCART video cable. Perhaps he previously tried RF but never got the tuning correct. In the box were also a C64C, three C2N's, a couple of C64 tape games, a couple of loose Sega Megadrive/Genesis games, a label maker (still working), a plentitude of random cables, joysticks and a big box of 3.5" DD floppy disks. All in all a nice haul, I'll sort it through later.

Oh yes, I never mentioned that other big Commodore 64 haul I got for free a little over a month ago.. like three big boxes of software, hardware and a 1702 monitor. A lot of the games were already sold.

Wow. Now that's a nice haul! It's amazing what people will just give away.

Back