• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Anyone opposed to the idea of this?

:eek:nfire:

i'll add whatever is sent to me. I'll also make sure to ask the company (if it still exists) before adding. Drivers and setup utilities i'll also try and add too.
I have also added my contact info to the page. In fact, before you can actually GET to the images, you have to read a note explaining what the site is about.

And, I now have the server running 24/7.

As things stand, 75 years is acceptable for things like music and movies, but it's ridiculous for software. The copyright terms on it should last at most 30 years. It should also automatically expire if the source code for it no longer exists. Just my opinion.

<soapbox>
30 years? Come on... Thirty years in the computer industry is an eternity! the systems that software runs on is obsolete in 10 years, may 15 at the most.

Not to mention that it's ridiculous for a company to claim that by giving away a program that they haven't sold or supported in 10 years is somehow costing them money. I would say that could understand this argument in the case of operating systems like Micro$oft, except this: If you have an older computer, say a 486, there's no way you could run Windoze latest release on it even if, for some reason, you wanted to. Since MS no longer sells Windows 3.11, you can't get it from them. You're only option, if you want to use your computer and software that you already own, is to find someone willing to "break the law" by providing you a copy of the OS.

I think that, for Micro$oft, or any company, to file a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement on obsolete software, they should be required to offer an outlet for users to legally purchase the product in question.

And since you brought up movies - I personally think Walt Disney's policy of releasing a movie for a limited time before locking it away in their vaults until such a time as they decide to re-release it should be illegal. At the very least it's unethical. And they wonder why people pirate their movies. Hell, if you can't get it anywhere else, what do they expect people to do?
</soapbox>

30 years? Come on... Thirty years in the computer industry is an eternity! the systems that software runs on is obsolete in 10 years, may 15 at the most.

It's not perfect, but it's slightly more reasonable than 75 years. Keep in mind that it would only be if the source code still exists. My proposal was that the copyright automatically expires if the source is gone. But yes, 30 years is a long time, considering that in 1979 the PET and TRS-80 Model I were around. Maybe 25 years?

Not to mention that it's ridiculous for a company to claim that by giving away a program that they haven't sold or supported in 10 years is somehow costing them money. I would say that could understand this argument in the case of operating systems like Micro$oft, except this: If you have an older computer, say a 486, there's no way you could run Windoze latest release on it even if, for some reason, you wanted to. Since MS no longer sells Windows 3.11, you can't get it from them.

All very good points, but a lot of software is never going to be practical to download even if it becomes PD tomorrow. People will still be downloading badly ripped DOS games that are modified for Windows XP and missing files and complain when they don't work (and driving the folks on vogons.zetafleet nuts).

I think that, for Micro$oft, or any company, to file a lawsuit claiming copyright infringement on obsolete software, they should be required to offer an outlet for users to legally purchase the product in question.

I don't think they'd realistically sue you because the cost of doing so would exceed anything they'd get out of it. On the other hand, the poster who says he handled the Underdogs' e-mail claims that he never got a C&D letter in five years. Many abandonware sites have in fact been operating quite openly for a long time without any problems and there's only a few companies that are known to pull games (eg. First Star Software). If the software came from a company that no longer exists, the chances of being asked to take it down are virtually nil. It's mainly active ones like Electronic Arts that you have to watch out for.

And since you brought up movies - I personally think Walt Disney's policy of releasing a movie for a limited time before locking it away in their vaults until such a time as they decide to re-release it should be illegal. At the very least it's unethical. And they wonder why people pirate their movies. Hell, if you can't get it anywhere else, what do they expect people to do?

Disney is beyond a doubt one of the worst offenders for manipulating copyright laws to their advantage. It basically goes like "Oh, help us. We'll go out of business if Steamboat Willy becomes PD!" If you own Congressmen though, you can do anything you want.

And, I now have the server running 24/7.

I can get to it now! Yay!

If'n ya need any server space... just let me know...

...and I'll get ya a number ;-)

No, really. If you need any server space, I'll lend you some of mine. Assuming that I get my server up and running (I'm thinking of using my PIII instead of my P250 :p )

When i went to your website and saw Dr Who I screamed "YES!!! Some other nerd under 15 who LIKES DOCTOR WHO AND VINTAGE COMPUTERS!!!!!!!!"

:-D

Oldversion.com and vetusware.com seem to have survived in this type of niche for PC based software for a very long time without too much trouble coming their way.

A similar repository for vintage machines is definitely a good idea. . .

Back