• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Looking for Some Programming Languages

irishmike

Experienced Member
I am looking for some programming language packages for Apple IIe and IBM.

I would like a copy of Turbo Pascal for IBM PC and also Apple II, I know that there is ORCA for IIGS, but this is a IIe.

Also looking for COBOL and C for Apple II series and IBM PC as well.

If you have a copy that you would sell or otherwise help me obtain, please PM me.

Thanks,

I am looking for some programming language packages for Apple IIe and IBM.

I would like a copy of Turbo Pascal for IBM PC and also Apple II, I know that there is ORCA for IIGS, but this is a IIe.

Also looking for COBOL and C for Apple II series and IBM PC as well.

If you have a copy that you would sell or otherwise help me obtain, please PM me.

Thanks,
I think Borland (or what entity that inherited bits of early Borland software) has permitted Turbo Pascal (and other assorted early Borland products) to be freely distributed for non-commercial purpose. Turbo Pascal 3.3 Download Google is your friend: search Turbo Pascal download.

@dorkbert: thanks for the info for TP for the PC platform. That indeed is nice although I may want to still do commercial development with it at some point. ;-) Not that anything written in TP would be viable on the market given the platforms.

Still looking for Apple II versions of Pascal, C and COBOL as well as C and COBOL for PC.

My uncle is a COBOL programmer and tells me that this would be worthwhile to learn as a lot of COBOL programmers are reaching retirement ages and there will still be IBM Mainframes to maintain after they all retire. Sounded like a nice niche to be involved in although I am now nearing 40 years old and so we need more people interested in COBOL IMHO.

That is totally an aside though :) If you can help with the other languages please let me know.

Thanks,

Mike

How good of a C compiler are you looking for? Are you looking for something vintage or something modern?

If I were going vintage, Turbo C++ 3.0 is a very good compiler for 386 and 486 machines and it will generate code for 8088 class machines. (All of my TCP/IP code is done using it.) I have a copy available if you want it.

If I were going for skill building, I would get a low end PC (Pentium 3 or 4 class, or equivalent Athlong) and put Linux on it. GCC would be the compiler.

Other PC compilers include WATCOM and Microsoft. WATCOM is openly available.

Mike

@mbbrutman: Turbo C++ would be great. However I am kind of looking for actual C not actually C++... but I would like a copy if that can be arranged.

We'll arrange that privately if your interested.

One thing to keep in mind is that C++ is a superset of C. Any C++ compiler is capable of compiling C code, by definition. My programming style is normally C, with some features from C++ to make the code easier to maintain.

But still, are you looking for vintage compilers or for building skills?

Mike

@mbbrutman: Actually both. I was thinking of writing some custom code for my old BBS system in Turbo Pascal (that was the language the doors were written in) and just basically doing what I do in my real job -- which is coding also :)

Found out to run COBOL on my Apple IIe,I would need a CP/M softcard -- unless there is an alternative to MS COBOL for this platform. But as a result, I was still looking to find COBOL for an older 486 machine or better would be for modern Linux... anyone know of any? The Apple II would be great, but I don't want to go with the Z80 card.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

There's COBOL 650 for DOS:
http://www.freebyte.com/programming/cobol/cobol650.html

And COBOL12 for DOS and Windows:
http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/jsoeberg/

Both are somewhat antiquated compared to current dialects of COBOL.

OpenCOBOL is a more current free COBOL for current OSes: http://www.opencobol.org/
It's basically a COBOL to C preprocessor that then uses the local C compiler to produce native code.

You can also use COBOL within an emulator. If you want the whole experience, get the Hercules System Emulator running on your PC. It emulates the mainframe:
http://www.hercules-390.org/

Then, when you've figured that out, go to IBM and download a 60 day trial version of Rational Developer z to run under the emulator to use the current mainframe version of COBOL in a mainframe-type environment:
http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/rdz/

I recommend learning at least some basic COBOL first, so that you're only doing one new thing at a time. ;)

Good luck!

@saundby: Thanks for the information! I have already looked into openCOBOL and that looks okay. I am mainly trying to do it on some of my vintage computers at the moment, I have a Color Computer 3, and on the way an Atari 1040ST and of course I am still planning to find another Amiga 1200... so any version that might run on any of those or my IBM model 95 is of interest. The Model 95 will be running OS/2 Warp 4.

@all: appreciate all the help with these things!

Last edited:
OpenCOBOL [..] to C preprocessor
Hm, I suppose then it might be possible to use a C cross compiler to generate an executable for a vintage computer? That is a thought if one for some reason would like to develop in COBOL or any other less commonly available programming language.

Back