• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

my MS-DOS simulator

linuxlove

Veteran Member
to see what i can do with QuickBASIC, i'm writing a DOS simulator... in DOS (yo dawg, i heard you DOS so we put DOS in your DOS so you could DOS while you DOS!). Since it's in QuickBASIC, some things are not exactly true DOS, as they had to be modified to fit what i know (which is PRINT, INPUT, IF, CLS and CHAIN :X). if you want to try it, see the link at the end for it. i'm also looking for any help anyone can give me on cleaning up code or if they have good material for reading to learn more; i could use it!

i think that it is rather convincing, makes you feel like you're using real DOS, without the ability to mess stuff up.

here is the link:
http://genericnet.ath.cx/quickdos

let me know what you think.

Just a web friendly tip, when doing pictures on the web save them as jpg or gif to reduce the file size tremendously. That'll speed up the page viewing by a few factors for us (watching the pictures render like an old Amiga right now lol and noticed they're bmp).

So I'm confused. Is this just a program to simulate dos commands and simulate the output or are you trying to write something more? Just curious, I remember my programming level and knowledge at your age and I'd have been writing the simulator out of boredom but it wouldn't be much use to folks outside of my own entertainment.

I wrote something kinda similar years ago. Basically, it emulates the Commodore 64, cursor movements, blink, etc. All it does is give error messages though. I guess it's gag software you could run to make someone frustrated.

Back