• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Green MDA Victor 1218

JT64

Experienced Member
Is the Victor monitors collector items or just another old monitor, if it have any worth beyond nostalgic use, what price could one expect?

JT

Not sure of the worth but if someone has a Victor system without the monitor they'd want it. Commodore collectors are likely to snatch up a Victor item but just like any CRT monitor the shipping can be the deal breaker. I'd recommend posting it somewhere (maybe even in the auction site here) and seeing who will give you a few bucks for it.

I don't know if Commodore collectors in general care much about Victor computers. After all they were two different companies having Chuck Peddle and the Swedish distributor Datatronic in common.

But anyway, I wonder if your monitor is truly MDA or uses a different sync frequency? I have an amber Victor monochrome monitor that yield no output at all when connected to my friend's Sinclair PC200. It may have been set to CGA mode though, but we tried an IBM 515X MDA monitor at the same session, and it worked with the Sinclair. I thought the Victor monitor was simply broken until earlier this week when I connected it to my new Victor "Vicky" 8088.

I don't know if Commodore collectors in general care much about Victor computers. After all they were two different companies having Chuck Peddle and the Swedish distributor Datatronic in common.

But anyway, I wonder if your monitor is truly MDA or uses a different sync frequency? I have an amber Victor monochrome monitor that yield no output at all when connected to my friend's Sinclair PC200. It may have been set to CGA mode though, but we tried an IBM 515X MDA monitor at the same session, and it worked with the Sinclair. I thought the Victor monitor was simply broken until earlier this week when I connected it to my new Victor "Vicky" 8088.

I think you are right i do not think it synch in the monochrome (hires?) mode on my 8088, but sync in the CGA mode.

What is the name of these monitors MGA?

JT

My 14" Victor monitor is model no. 09NO1B. There are some more numbers too, M411LAGVT(R) 00600816, manufactured on June 5, 1990. The built in plastic monitor stand was manufactured on May 12, 1990.

I can add that we left an exactly equal monitor behind in the pile of stuff that the recycling station won't mind receiving. So at least that means soon there will be one less Victor monitor within Sweden, whether that affects the value of your green one. :-D

Update: The instruction book to my "Vicky" states the monochrome mode is Hercules compatible. However I seem to remember Hercules is a superset of MDA so it shouldn't matter?

Last edited:
The instruction book to my "Vicky" states the monochrome mode is Hercules compatible. However I seem to remember Hercules is a superset of MDA so it shouldn't matter?
Hercules Graphics Card is a superset of MDA card.
Both cards use the same monitors.

Back