• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac os

phogren

Veteran Member
Not sure where to ask this. A friend is going to buy a used copy of the OS 10.5 (Leopard?) for his Mac G5. Is there a limit to how many times it can be installed? If he goes online will Apple know he has a duplicate version of the OS? Will it fail a validation test like happens on Windows?

It depends on the EULA that the software came with. Some software is OEM which means it's only licensed for the machine it was sold with vs a full license which you're usually entitled to one installation on one computer (this you could uninstall and install on another computer and still be compliant).

I'm not sure how Apple does their licensing, perhaps their website would have that somewhere? Some companies do allow you to install in more than one place but it's usually limited and not very often since they'd rather sell you a copy but ya never know without reading it.

Unrelated bought a game (Sacred) because they allow you to install it on up to 4 systems on one license enabling us to have a small lan party without a huge cost. Norton pro also had a version that at the time would allow you to install it on 2 computers.

Most OSes however probably aren't too friendly for multiple copies but I'm not aware of any OS other than Windows that tries to check when doing updates, etc.

I used to do maintenance for a high school Mac lab and none of the install discs seem to care what I installed it on, even if it was a different model Mac. Although these were stand alone only, no network access of any kind so I can't say if they phone home to Apple or not but I some how doubt they do.

Back