• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

InfoWindow II terminal (AS400 iSeries)

kishy

Veteran Member
Curious to know...

a) if anyone would want one, like perhaps they have an AS/400 setup running at home?

b) approximate value, and price I would be able to get away with without ripping people off?

Specific unit is an IBM 3488-V. "Pizza box" style, not built into a monitor. Appears to have VGA-type video.

You probably wont be able to get much for them. Guy sells them on ebay for $38 with free shipping in the US. He has a mess of them and even includes a twinax adapter.

Perhaps if yours are new with keyboard set you can probably get a good deal more but, ebay is probably the place to sell them. I may be the only person here playing with a as/400 at home. Only one that will admit it anyway.

You probably wont be able to get much for them. Guy sells them on ebay for $38 with free shipping in the US. He has a mess of them and even includes a twinax adapter.

Perhaps if yours are new with keyboard set you can probably get a good deal more but, ebay is probably the place to sell them. I may be the only person here playing with a as/400 at home. Only one that will admit it anyway.

I actually have the keyboard but it's pending being shipped out to someone who bought it via a different website (geekhack.org)...I didn't realize I'd be getting the terminal itself a few days later in addition to the keyboard. There will be a short period of a couple days at least where I have the two together so I can take some pics and see what, if anything, it does upon power up (given the VGA video).

I got it (the one and only I have) basically free so any money is a profit. Just wondering more or less if anyone here would benefit from it, because I have a feeling in the coming months/years I'll be asking a lot of favours around here so I want to deserve it by the time I need them.

Well, I got home and hooked it up (since I do still *have* the keyboard I can use it).

Obviously defining "using" is kind of difficult. I can go into the firmware based "control program" and configure settings, that's about it. This does however prove that both the terminal itself and the keyboard are in working order, with photos to prove it.

Now, I know there is no "processor" in this box, but there must be SOMETHING capable of "processing" because it can run the control program. Is there ANY way to make this a standalone system? I'm itching to try it if it can be done.

Edit: it's up for sale in off topic marketplace.
$10 plus shipping
Still interested in possibility of standalone use, so info is still desired

Last edited:
Back