• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Tandy portable disk drive (TPDD)

arfink

Experienced Member
I am looking for a TPDD or TPDD2 for my Tandy 102. I would like to have one in working condition and with the link cable. It would also be nice to have the boot disk too. I have no idea what a TPDD is worth, but I'm looking for something around maybe $25 + shipping?

You can PM me or email: arfink (at) stthomas.edu

I might be interested in doing a trade too. I have some various things:
-Apple IIgs PSU
-A Tandy portable thermal printer with a spare ribbon and a sealed roll of thermal paper, plus PSU and link cable. (Tandy 100-102-200 compatible)
-Apple II or IIgs software, just let me know what you'd like.

I assume youve heard of the NADSbox, a solid state (SD card) PC-compatible TPDD(2) replacement? Somewhat more money than you want to spend but infinitely more useful.

Also be aware that any TPDD you'll find these days will almost certainly need a new drive belt; they're available and not hard to replace, but keep it in mind.

Yes, I have heard of the NADSbox, and yes it's quite a bit more expensive than I like. If I was going to drop nearly $200 I'd be investing in an IDE card for my Apple IIgs first, since it is my primary work computer for school next to my Tandy. I am fully aware I'll probably need to recondition the drive, that's perfectly OK as long as the belt is the only part that's busted. Basically I'm looking to get some more reliable storage for the Tandy without paying a remarkably large amount of money for it, which would be the case with the NADSbox, sad to say.

Why not just use a PC; an old laptop running DOS and Desklink wouldn't be much bigger than a TPDD, have vastly more capacity, probably easier to find, PC/Internet compatible, and all you need is a null-modem cable.

I got a null modem and a PC, I just want a TPDD. For the sake of having one. For the sake of on-the-road backup when the Tandy is all I bring along. For the sake of saying "Look, I have a battery operated floppy drive for this thing," when my friends ask. For the sake of using real floppies. I don't mean to bash you, but I just really want a TPDD. I would use it.

And to be honest, the really good reason is for the sake of the Retrochallenge, in which I would really like to have something like a TPDD, for reasons that should be fairly obvious.

I understand perfectly; most of the threads on here don't have much to do with being practical or efficient;-)

Mind you, the T100/102 is actually one of the very few classic computers that *is* still uniquely useful even today.

Have you checked with Rick Hanson, Mr. Club100?
Or asked on the Club100 mail list? Maybe one of the many happy NADSbox users doesn't need his/her TPDD any longer.

Good luck!

mike

I did talk to Rick, he wants $70 for a TPDD. A little high for my taste, although he does warrant them, etc. And the mailing list hasn't turned anything up.

See, I would use this for a useful purpose, as I'm using my 102 all the time, as well as a 200, but to be honest I don't have the cash just laying around to afford a NADSbox.

Just checked Club 100's "For Sale" section and noticed a couple of PDD's listed. Might be worth your time to re-check them.

With that said, I'm pretty sure you're going to pay more than $25.

Back