• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Collecting computers in a recycling center - school project

ppo

Experienced Member
For a school project i'm working on, I will have the oportunity to go to a recycling center.

As so, I will have autorization to take some computers for the project and then, after the end of the year, I would like to keep them.

So that the project works as I planned, those computers should be 20 years old or more.

So, finally, as I'm still new to computer collecting I'd like to know if someone has experience in collecting computers from recycling centers and getting them to work.

Also I'd like to know what to look for and how can I know if I've found something valuable (advanced for its age/iconic/etc.)

So, finally, as I'm still new to computer collecting I'd like to know if someone has experience in collecting computers from recycling centers and getting them to work.
Most times, computers from recycling centers are fully working, just that no one wanted them and sent them off.

Also I'd like to know what to look for and how can I know if I've found something valuable (advanced for its age/iconic/etc.)
IBM systems (5150, 1560, AT, PS/2, etc.), Compact Macs, Apple ][ systems, DEC systems, luggables, Amiga computers... the list goes on and on. If you think it's valuable, pick it up and tell us about it.

486 or older, imo. Unless you know the CPU's have a lot of gold content, then grab as many as possible to scrap and sell.

If you are picking up 286/386/486 type boxes check for the case screws. Generally speaking if it had 4 or 5 and they are all intact chances are you are getting a complete unit. If there is 1 holding on a case that originally had 4, chances are its been pillaged. Take along a phillips screwdriver with you to check.

-Lance

If you have any questions about Apples, let me know. Here're a few to always keep an eye out for (ok, ok, so it's also a wishlist. :p)

Any prototype Apple, especially with transparent plastics.
Bell & Howell Apple II
Apple IIc LCD Screen
Apple IIc color CRT
Apple Lisa
Macintosh Portable with backlight upgrade
Early SN Compact Macs
Faraday Cage Compact Macs (pretty darn rare, most were government contracts and were destroyed)
Color Classic and Color Classic II
Macintosh TV
Unusual Apple clones (Daystar Millennium Quad CPU, Assistive Technologies touchscreen PowerBook, Motorola clones with parallel and serial ports, etc.)

Non Computer Apple items:

Newton Message Pad 2100
AppleDesign "Potbelly" Speakers
Apple Adjustable Keyboard
PowerCD

Non Apple items:

Color NeXT Cube
Color NeXT Slab
BeBox

Thanks for all the help, if I find something, I'll let you know.

But keep giving ideas, I will only go in a few days.

Most times, computers from recycling centers are fully working, just that no one wanted them and sent them off.

I know, my first computer was thrown off without my consent.
And it was fully operational!

If you have any questions about Apples, let me know. Here're a few to always keep an eye out for (ok, ok, so it's also a wishlist. :p)

Any prototype Apple, especially with transparent plastics.
Bell & Howell Apple II
Apple IIc LCD Screen
Apple IIc color CRT
Apple Lisa
Macintosh Portable with backlight upgrade
Early SN Compact Macs
Faraday Cage Compact Macs (pretty darn rare, most were government contracts and were destroyed)
Color Classic and Color Classic II
Macintosh TV
Unusual Apple clones (Daystar Millennium Quad CPU, Assistive Technologies touchscreen PowerBook, Motorola clones with parallel and serial ports, etc.)

Non Computer Apple items:

Newton Message Pad 2100
AppleDesign "Potbelly" Speakers
Apple Adjustable Keyboard
PowerCD

Non Apple items:

Color NeXT Cube
Color NeXT Slab
BeBox

Thanks, since I recently bought a Mac Powerbook (1992), i'm starting to love Apples.

It's kind of interesting out there. I don't think you'll have much trouble finding something neat when you see it. It's probably few and far between all the regular beige clones you'll end up seeing or not vintage but old manufactured PCs.

Collecting is kind of a what's cool to you factor. The rest are numbers and it's kind of funny that failed products which had less made can be collectible. But don't let it throw ya off too much. You'll know when you see it :) It may not be worth a fortune but if it's cool and you get to play with it and learn from it then it's worth the effort.

- John

It's kind of interesting out there. I don't think you'll have much trouble finding something neat when you see it. It's probably few and far between all the regular beige clones you'll end up seeing or not vintage but old manufactured PCs.

Collecting is kind of a what's cool to you factor. The rest are numbers and it's kind of funny that failed products which had less made can be collectible. But don't let it throw ya off too much. You'll know when you see it :) It may not be worth a fortune but if it's cool and you get to play with it and learn from it then it's worth the effort.

- John

I know that when i see it, I will probably recognize it.

I just came here to get some ideas and to make sure that i wouldn't go there and miss something important.

Besides I'm looking for unique computers, so that my "instalation" (i'm an arts student) will have a more artistic look.
And older computers, without a GUI are simpler and I think better looking.

Last edited:
If you are picking up 286/386/486 type boxes check for the case screws. Generally speaking if it had 4 or 5 and they are all intact chances are you are getting a complete unit. If there is 1 holding on a case that originally had 4, chances are its been pillaged. Take along a phillips screwdriver with you to check.

-Lance

Here it seems the experience of an advanced recycling centre visitor speaks :D - great tip and very recognisable. Disappointing when you get home with what shows to be an empty box...

As Barythrin says.. anything not standard beige. I'd add: anything that is not in a mini/miditower, and anything that has an integrated keyboard..

Back