• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM PS2 Model 80

pcuccurello

I have an old PS2 Model 80 with the 8514/A Display adapter card added. The wife is having me clear out my old computer closet so I'm looking at parting ways with it. Is this something that someone would be interested in, or should I just take it to the salvager? I also have the external 5.25" floppy drive and the external read/write laser drive.

It did tremendous service for years running a FidoNET BBS service (back before the web) and was a wonderful machine. I just would prefer it go to someone who appreciates it than to a salvager if there is interest in these old boxes.

Where are you located? I might be interested.

Did you ever consider keeping the computer and giving away the wife, lol?

East of Dallas.

No, I've had her for 20 years and grown accustomed to her. Besides, she's a lawyer, the ensuing debacle gives me pause :p

I have an old PS2 Model 80 with the 8514/A Display adapter card added. The wife is having me clear out my old computer closet so I'm looking at parting ways with it. Is this something that someone would be interested in, or should I just take it to the salvager? I also have the external 5.25" floppy drive and the external read/write laser drive.

It did tremendous service for years running a FidoNET BBS service (back before the web) and was a wonderful machine. I just would prefer it go to someone who appreciates it than to a salvager if there is interest in these old boxes.

Even if in the end you end up junking the machine, keep any easy-to-store parts (that 8514 card, drives, etc) because at some point someone will be looking for them (a very dangerous approach, but true). PS/2 hardware can be tricky to find and I'm sure the floppy drive will be wanted fairly soon; they seem to fail all the time.

Wow, you're listed on textfiles.com :)

PHOENIX, AZ
Deus ex Machina (1989) Pat Cuccurello

Seriously, if anyone is into BBS history like I am, the stuff on that drive might be worth something...and if I wasn't already trying to acquire 5 other systems I might take you up on it.

yes it does....Deus ex Machina BBS :) Including the cool ANSI graphics in....ready for it.....16 colors!

woo-Hoo!

Well, I started digging in the closet. It is a PS2 Model 80 with 2 80meg ESDI drives. 8514/A adapter card--populated with memory. External 5.25" floppy drive. 3363 Optical Drive with disk and adapter on the Microchannel bus.

Searching on the net, I cannot find any indication of what any of this is worth. Does anyone have any idea of where I would even begin posting this machine and about what it is worth?

Thanks

The 3363 is a cool WORM drive, I have 2 internal units in my 80 towers and an external unit. As far as what it is worth, I got the 2 loaded 80's for free locally and the 3363 external just for shipping costs with new shrinkwrapped media and the controller card.

There is an active PS/2 newsgroup (where I got the external 3363 from) comp.sys.ibm.ps2.hardware where people trade parts around that might help you out. The guy who did this: http://www.ibmmuseum.com/OhlandL/index.html hangs out there.

With the exception of some rare hardware cards and add-ons I don't think PS/2 machines are worth too much, once in a while you do see a loaded tower that 100% works hit $100 or so on ebay. It is common for the floppy drives to die along with the CMOS battery making them unusable untill both are replaced.

If its not too pricey I would be interested in the 5.25" external floppy drive plus controller card for one of my PS/2 towers if you part yours out.

Well, I started digging in the closet. It is a PS2 Model 80 with 2 80meg ESDI drives. 8514/A adapter card--populated with memory. External 5.25" floppy drive. 3363 Optical Drive with disk and adapter on the Microchannel bus.

Searching on the net, I cannot find any indication of what any of this is worth. Does anyone have any idea of where I would even begin posting this machine and about what it is worth?

Thanks

If it wasn't such a tank of a machine (read: heavy,) I'd consider making an offer; but that beast would cost a fortune to ship.

Back