• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

IBM board.... need help identifying!!

laxmann31

I recently pulled out and old computer board out of my closet to use in rebuiling a system. I pulled it out of a late early 90's computer.
It is an IBM board with Intel components...
- Green Math 4C87SL-40
- IBM sticker covering what seems to be the processor (soldered into the board)
- DIN connector
- The only somewhat useful info was found on the backside
JCI-S2S H 94V-0 CSCO D39712A 01 REV C1
- VL41C/V2 Graphics Card
- PTI-265W/260W V0 Card
- Sticker on front read: AENA-3A5-092594-79G3322
- copyright 1993 RYC
-AMIBIOS american megatrends 486slc isa bios (c)1993

I am a noob to this site so please forgive me :)

ok here are some pictures.
the two cards that are also shown came with the computer. One of them is a s3 graphics card
photostream

photostream

photostream

photostream

The IBM sticker is on a chipset chip.

The CPU is under the heatsink and is a 486SLC, which is a 16 bit external bus like a 386SX CPU designed to be a cheap entry point into the 486 world for consumers.

RJ

I got to test it first before i do anything with it. I might be aquiring a 1992 GATEWAY 2000 486SX Tower. The guy bought it new way back when and it doesnt boot up. He brought it to a computer shop and they said the motherboard is bad.

I have a P4D-66 Gateway (circa 11-1994) that i gutted and rebuilt. unfortunately the board that was in mine wont fit this one due to different form factors.
I had this board on hand that has the same form factor as the '92 gateway. I just hope it works out

The CPU is under the heatsink and is a 486SLC, which is a 16 bit external bus like a 386SX CPU

So wait... how does 32-bit VLB work with a CPU that has a 16-bit bus? Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious, but I'd never thought about it before, since the only SLC chips I've ever seen were on ISA-only boards...

well i was interested and i researched it. the 486slc was sold under the cyrix name (manufactured by texas instruments) it is apparently based on the i386sx bus

Back