• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My introduction and collection

Eriol

Hi folks! Stumbled across this site while looking for info on RGBi cables, and figured I'd join in. I know there is a section for introductions, but I think the computers are much more interesting. :) So here's the list:

-C128, 1541, 1571, 1084S - This is the jewel of my collection, always stays hooked up.
-TI 99/4A - Some of my earliest memories are of playing with this machine when I was about three. Dunno if it works, the R/F modulator died when I was a child.
-TRS-80 MC-10 - Along with the TI, some of my earliest memories. First experiments with Basic.
-TRS-80 Model 3 Microcomputer (not COCO) - picked up for free when I was 14. Powers up but gives a disk error - dunno if it's the boot disk or drive that's bad.
-Powerbook 180c - It's neat but I haven't really decided what to do with this one; I'm not a huge Apple fan if I'm honest.

Machines I'm thinking about reclaiming from the friend they were given to because they're in his junk-heap:
-Mac Classic with upgraded HDD. I actually have the special tool for taking these old Macs apart.
-Apple IIc - rescued from the junk heap after a school auction. Don't know if it works, don't have any accessories.

Machine I regret giving away to a different friend:
-Atari 1040ST - picked up for $5 at Goodwill, gave away thinking it was an 8-bit machine like the 800xl. Learned afterward what the ST was all about.

Machines I want:
-C128D (would fit my desk more nicely)
-Amiga 1200HD

Welcome to the forums and glad you found your way here. The IIc is nice since it doesn't take much space and gives you a fairly complete Apple II education in a smaller package.

A nice collection of systems. Have any specific uses for the machines that you enjoy the most?

- John

Thank you. :)

Unfortunately most of my systems just sit on a shelf in my basement. I live in a very small house and don't really have room to set them up, so I haven't gotten around to getting the various items I need to get them going. This is also why I haven't grown my collection.

I still use the Commodore pretty often, though. I use it to play old games and demos, and every once in a while I dive in and try to learn some assembly language. I need a real assembler, though -- the machine-language monitor just doesn't quite cut it for anything beyond very simple programs. :)

I'm currently waiting on the parts to make an XA1541 cable to arrive from Digikey, so I can start playing with different software again.

I have some similarities with you Eriol.

I too have a small house with no 'extra' room - for, what the wife refers to as, my 'has been' computer collection.
You at least have a basement though.

I have one small room about 9x11 to store all my vintage stuff, which includes more than just the machines. The 'accessories', of course take up far more space than the actual vintage machines; books, magazines, power bricks, assorted cords, cases, boards, drives, other odd and obsolete items I can't part with, plus all my modern day computers and accessories. It's a squeeze :)

I have most of the machines you mentioned in my collection too. I noted you're going to build an XA1541 cable. You may also want to build a cable for that TI994A if your modulator is faulty.

I bought an XA1541 adapter (for my Commodore), and a video cable for the TI994A, but rolling your own is always more fun.
I use the cable for several of my machines:

picture.php

Welcome to the forum :)

Last edited:
Vint: scoped your profile, awesome collection! I have some questions:

I never noticed that the TI apparently uses the same kind of cable for composite output that my Commodore uses. Can I just hook the TI up to my C= monitor without any adapters?

(Actually, upon closer inspection, I realized that I've been using the wrong cable for years now -- I've got a composite cable with a 5-pin DIN connector plugged into the 8-pin port on my Commodore. Works fine, though.)

Does your 80-column RGBi to S-Video solution support color, or is it monochrome only?

The whole "wife" thing does often seem to be a tradeoff with regards to hobbies, doesn't it? ;) I'm single at the moment, but my vintage computer stuff has to compete for space with several more modern computers and my other hobbies.

Welcome Eriol,

A good handful of machines. I am envious of your TRS-80 Model III. I love the look of those all-in-one computers.

Tez

Years ago I owned a Commodore 1701 monitor, but never the nice 1084S as you have.
Quoting from 'project64.c64.org' the 1084 hooks up thusly:

picture.php

The connector cable I use for my C-128 is an 8 pin DIN and RBG on the computer end with an S-video, RCA plugs on the other. I can use 80 column B/W but not 80 column color with my particular setup. In C-128 40 column mode, or C-64 mode, I switch my capture card from S-video into composite mode.
Now, here's an interesting solution for 80 column color,
Commodore 128 in 80-column mode using the
Y-Plus RGB-to-Composite Converter -

http://home.comcast.net/~kkrausnick/c128-svideo/index.html

I use a 5 pin DIN connector cable to RCA plugs (that I bought off eBay) - but you could make your own. I use this cable for not only my TI994/A, but also for my Commodore Plus/4 and VIC-20 as well. Works fine :)

You can look through my photo albums on this site to see how I interface my vintage 8-bits using a capture card in one of my 'modern day' PC's. I find it convenient because I only need my single monitor for all my computer needs, whether vintage 8-bits or my regular PC's. Besides, the capture card, which incorporates a TV tuner, can record video & sound from any of my 8-bit machines, TV shows, game consoles, a VCR, etc.

Last edited:
Back