• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Amstrad 3086 hard drive

SouthernSky

Hi All,

I need the hard disc drive from a 1990 Amstrad 3086.

The mechanics in my hard drive are faulty, the disc spinns but the reader is not functioning. I have to transfer the discs from the faulty hard drive into another hard drive to salvage the data.

Hi All,

I need the hard disc drive from a 1990 Amstrad 3086.

The mechanics in my hard drive are faulty, the disc spinns but the reader is not functioning. I have to transfer the discs from the faulty hard drive into another hard drive to salvage the data.

I have a hard drive from a 1986 Amstrad (has an 8086 CPU) that I took apart. Also have the large floppy drive, just in case.
I'm In the US.
Let me know if you need more info.
-JohnO.

Hi JohnO,
thank you for the post, sorry about the long delay.

Your computer is some years older than mine, so the hard drive is probably a different one, however that is only my assumption.

Do you have any photos of it?

Chris.

Hi JohnO,
thank you for the post, sorry about the long delay.

Your computer is some years older than mine, so the hard drive is probably a different one, however that is only my assumption.

Do you have any photos of it?

Chris.

Hi Chris,
I'll check it this weekend and take a photo.

-John

Here are some pics of the hard drive from an old Amstrad.

It's a 20MB Western Digital dated 1988. The two data cables and a power cable are attached. The drive fits in a metal case that might be specific to the PC it came from.
Let me know it you need it.
-John

Attachments

• ebay for sale 639.jpg
    ebay for sale 639.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 1
  • ebay for sale 640.jpg
    ebay for sale 640.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 1
  • ebay for sale 641.jpg
    ebay for sale 641.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 1
Hi John,
again I am sorry for taking ages to reply.

Thank you for posting those pics, my drive is different to the one from your machine. I might have to buy another 3086 to be sure, they're out there somewhere... even then the hard drives might differ.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you sell this drive for?

Chris.

How about posting some more details or photos of the drive you're looking for? As you say, even different examples of the same machine may use completely different drives. It's also probable that the same drive was used in different machines, which may increase your chances of finding one exactly the same.

Back