• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Commodore Datasette

antiquekid3

Veteran Member
I'd like to find a working Datasette. I'm tired of losing my program when I turn off my Commodore, and my disk drive still refuses to work!

Thanks in advance!

Kyle

BTW, (and for completeness sake having a cassette and floppy drive is great anyway) but it'd be great practice for you too if you want to play with connecting it up to your sound card on another system. Then you can write a quick basic program, save it to "tape" (i.e. your other system) and get your recording/playback volumes correct. From there you can dump any other tape recordings to your system and even back up the ones you find or buy legitimately.

@VintageComputerman: I see one on eBay for $16USD. They seem pretty common in GB.

@barythrin: if I'm not mistaken, the Datasette has some internals that convert a serial stream into the Kansas City standard, or something pretty similar. I was thinking about making my own "standard" if you will, using two frequencies, one twice that of the other. That way you can have, say...10KHz, take it through a frequency divider that when it sees a logic "1", it divides by 2, and a logic "0" would divide by 4. Record that through a sound card, and you're good to go!

Now I just have to figure out how one would take that data and turn it back into 1s and 0s! :)

Kyle

By the way, I have successfully done that with my SWTPC. I have the tape interface, which I simply connected into the input of my MacBook. After a little Audacity recording and switching some wires back around, I was able to play it back into the tape interface! It works great! Still, it's 300 baud, and when I compare that to the 1200 baud connection between my Dell laptop (my terminal), it's a lot slower! I usually just save the "S1" load files in text files and "Send Text File" those over via serial to the SWTPC from the Dell.

Kyle

hAVE A WORKING DATASET AS WELL AS A LIKE NEW DISK DRIVE FOR A COMMODORE 64. i HAVE LOTS OF OTHE STUFF AS WELL...5 1/4 DISKS BLACNK (NEW)...

jEFF

Back