• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

FINALLY- Ciderpress working under Wine in Linux

arfink

Experienced Member
OK, I finally got Ciderpress to work under Wine. It's performing nicely, with no noticeable hiccups. I had to use the freely available Winetricks script to retrieve and install the following things:

-mfc42
-vcrun6

After that, it just worked like a charm! The key is to get the correct version of mfc42 and to get it configured right, which I was seemingly unable to do by myself, but after using winetricks it just worked.

Get winetricks and instructions on how to use it here:
http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Last edited:
Source available, where are the ports?

Source available, where are the ports?

I'm most likely stating the obvious here, but since CiderPress is now apparently open source, why has no effort been taken yet to port it to other platforms?

Considering how popular the Apple II is within the vintage community, I'm sure there would be enough interest, right? And it's particularly ironic that there isn't even a Mac OS (X) port of CiderPress yet.

http://ciderpress.sourceforge.net/

I would love to see it ported to linux as well. I haven't any idea what it would take to accomplish that however.

I'm sure the demand exists.

I'm sure it's more complex than just recompiling the source, right? There would probably need to be some amount of new code written. (I know I'm clueless about software development, just trying to understand here)

Uh, there /is/ a port of CiderPress, functionalitywise.

It's called NuLib and it's entirely cross-platform. Or do the people who like Apple IIs need a GUI after all? :p

While Nulib is a good and versatile piece of software, it doesn't seem to be quite as full-featured as ciderpress. It's a little more basic, hence the comand line interface. It's important to have that "basic minimal" niche filled. It's very useful for many things and I don't want to offend anyone.

In a few minutes of doing some web searches, I found no indication that Nulib supports:
direct access to a cf card
convert/view pictures and graphics from an Apple file system
I also found definite confirmation that it does not support resource forks from IIGS files.

So yes, while similar software already exists on Linux, it would be nice to have the widely accepted standard working there too.

And no, I don't need a GUI. It's just something I tend to expect on a system with thousands of times more power than my favorite Apple //e.

Back