• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Write D64 to Disk

Raven

Veteran Member
I feel retarded atm, because I've done this before, but now I can't find a program that does this for the life of me. Star Commander just won't bloody work, and I thought that it was what I had been using. Whether on my modern PC or a 486 w/ DOS6, it doesn't detect the drive in XE or XM mode (I have a switchable adapter)..

Isn't there a simple program where I can type "d64todisk myd64.d64 8" and have it run over XE or XM mode to my 1541?..

I feel retarded atm, because I've done this before, but now I can't find a program that does this for the life of me. Star Commander just won't bloody work, and I thought that it was what I had been using. Whether on my modern PC or a 486 w/ DOS6, it doesn't detect the drive in XE or XM mode (I have a switchable adapter)..

Isn't there a simple program where I can type "d64todisk myd64.d64 8" and have it run over XE or XM mode to my 1541?..

You want OpenCBM...
http://www.trikaliotis.net/opencbm

Steve

Doesn't really work for me.

C:\opencbm-0.4.2-i386\exe>d64copy c:\gtway64.d64 8
[Fatal] could not identify device
[Warning] Unknown drive, assuming 1541
[Fatal] drive 08 (1541): 99, DRIVER ERROR,00,00

C:\opencbm-0.4.2-i386\exe>instcbm
Driver is already installed, remove it before you try a new installation,
or use the --update option!

C:\opencbm-0.4.2-i386\exe>instcbm --update

Checking configuration for cbm4win

The following configuration is used:

INSTCBM version: 0.4.2
Driver version: 0.4.2
Driver path: C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\cbm4wdm.sys
DLL version: 0.4.2
DLL path: C:\opencbm-0.4.2-i386\exe\OPENCBM.DLL

Driver configuration:
Default port: ........ LPT1
Driver start mode: ... auto (2)
LPT port locking: .... yes
Cable type: .......... auto (-1)

No problems found in current configuration

C:\opencbm-0.4.2-i386\exe>

Edit: BTW - this is what I'm working with (with a 1541-II) http://nkcelectronics.com/commodore-xexm1541-ada1541.html

Edit2: That was with the cable in XE mode, in XM mode it just hangs on d64copy.

Edit3: Win7 x86 ATM, again, if relevant.

Come on, somebody's gotta know how to use OpenCBM... perhaps my thread title sucks?

Edit: Apparently it still works on my Thinkpad like I did before - I used Star Commander then and now OpenCBM works fine on there too.. is the damned Parallel controller of my Intel DG41RQ not on a chip-based ISA bus? Did they really ^##$ this up that badly? I want a new motherboard more and more..

Edit 2: Well, I guess it isn't too bad - there's a USB version coming out soon enough, the XU1541 - when I get that, I won't have to worry about my parallel port anymore (at least for this).

Last edited:
I dunno if it makes you any happier, but yesterday I put together an Asus A7S333 based computer (Athlon XP 2100+ with SiS 745 chipset and ITE IT8705 floppy drive controller) and found its parallel port is likely to not be compatible with my trusty old XM-1541 cable. I have used this cable on various machines, chipsets and CPUs including a similar ECS system which used a SiS 746 + 963 chipset. On the latter machine it at least worked from DOS, this current one I have only tested in Windows XP.

Either I will hook up the XM cable to a different computer, which is something I'd like to avoid since I plan to power the 1541-II floppy drive from the same PC as the cable is connected to, or I will "retire" the cable in favor for an XA1541 cable/adaptor. From what I have read, those have even greater compatibility. I can't speak for your machine what kind of chipset it has or whether it would work better, but every once in a while we hit hardware with less compatibility than others.

Back