• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Nitros9 on the Dragon 64 or CoCo ...

minty

Blimey, is it really 27 years since I was bought my first Dragon 32 (a UK Coco clone)?

Well, in a fit of nostalgia, I thought a fun project for the winter would be to build myself the totally maxed out, fully specced mega-dragon I could never afford at the far off age of 15 (but always dreamed of).

The first step is to investigate Nitros9, which I will admit to have only just discovered. A multi-tasking operating system for the Dragon? That I have to have!

Right now, I'd be happy just to run it under an emulator, but I've stalled. I've got Xroar, and I can see a range of ROMs, plus disk images of Nitros9 at worldofdragon.org, plus the latest version from nitros9.org. But which 64 ROM do I need? Which DOS? How do I actually load the disk image? I never had such luxuries as floppy disks back in 1982, so I'm not sure where to even start with DragonDos.

So - anyone give me any pointers? Even running under a CoCo emulator would be a great start!

Many many thanks in advance!

Tony.

Hi! If you ever find a source for those Hitachi HD6309 CPUs please let me know. That's what makes the Nitros9 OS possible. However finding the CPUs is non-trivial especially the regular 6309 version (not the 6309E). If you know of some or anyone else who knows please tell!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

> Sorry, I can't speak to using OS9 or NitrOS9 on a Dragon; I grew up with a CoCo 2.

Hi! For the moment, I'd just love to see it running on anything - any pointers for a CoCo emulator that can run it (and how to run it) would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! If you ever find a source for those Hitachi HD6309 CPUs please let me know. That's what makes the Nitros9 OS possible. However finding the CPUs is non-trivial especially the regular 6309 version (not the 6309E). If you know of some or anyone else who knows please tell!

Thanks and have a nice day!

Andrew Lynch

I have a few on some arcade game boards to scrap out. :D

BUT... It'll probably be the end of December before I can get to them.

You can get 6309's from Mark at Cloud9 - www.cloud9tech.com. It's a little more expensive, but, I'd recommend getting the Protector borad they sell as well.It buffers all of the address lines to and from the CPU.

In another thread (6309 source I think...) I posted some info from about three years ago - a vendor was selling 6309's for $3.50 a piece - $200 minimum order...

Brian

> Sorry, I can't speak to using OS9 or NitrOS9 on a Dragon; I grew up with a CoCo 2.

Hi! For the moment, I'd just love to see it running on anything - any pointers for a CoCo emulator that can run it (and how to run it) would be much appreciated. Thanks!

MESS does a fine job of emulating either a Coco or a Dragon.

As pointed out already, NitrOS9 will run fine on a 6809.

There are build directories in the source for Dragon 64. Don't know if they work, but I just built the disk and it compiled fine. That's a good sign :)

Back