• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

AST Premium Exec 386SX/20

Larmire

Anyone know where I can get a battery or power supply for an AST Premium Exec 386SX/20? It uses an eight pin 'Din jack' type connector for power.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Larmire

Strangely enough,I too have one of those,also without a Power Supply.
It must be some sort of conspiracy against that AST model...; )
cgrape2

I'm looking for one of those myself. Did you ever find a source?

Someone let me know the power rating the computer needs. I have a charger with a "modified DIN jack" (it's only 2 or 4 big pins, I forget) tucked away in storage. It was for an Ultinet / Nan Tan 386 laptop.

With modification it could do the job if the rating is suitable. I think it might have even had the pinout of the DIN jack printed on the sticker, but no promises on that one.

Last edited:
The AST has a Pin Out sticker on it.I'll see about a picture.
cgrape2

Nope,I was wrong about the Pin Out Sticker.I'll post a picture of the Power Socket.

Last edited:
Here are some scans of my 2 power supplies - the one with the yellow sticker is meant for 110VAC, the other is a car cigarette lighter adapter. Maybe some of the model numbers or specs listed here can help you out, or you can use the yellow sticker pinout to hack together another one:

http://www.polylith.com/~brendan/ClassicComputers/PC/Laptop/image/PremiumExec386SX20PS.jpg

Hope this helps...

It does help me identify if my charger can work or not. I'm going to say probably not.

Rating aside (I think this outputs 16V IIRC which is way more than yours output), it has more functions in that connector than my charger has actual pins.

Last edited:
Now I just need a mouse for it... Cant get past all the code-y looking stuff. I found the whole thing on the side on the road- a bit dusty but was amazed to plug it in and see it work!

AST Power Supply

AST Power Supply

Hi Brendan do you still have the AST power supply with the yellow sticker, mine just bombed, or is their anybody else who knows where i can source one

I do still have my power supply, however, as you might guess, I'd like to use it with my Premium Exec 382SX/20 itself. I can try to check to make sure it's still up-and-running...I've been having lots of problems with the hinge lately. :(

Anyone still looking, the AST Premium Exec 386SX uses an AT&T CS714A power supply. There are a few on eBay at the moment.

Back