• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Old 128

bluethunder

Experienced Member
I posted in another 128k mac thread, but created my own, so I wouldnt Hi-jack the other one anymore...

Just finished building a Mac > PC serial cable to my SE.. I lucked out, turns out the SE had Claris works on it..
So I have telecom software.. I would of been hooped with out it..

Next step, disk copy, and system images for my 128..

I'll post some picts once i got the 128 running.

edit:

Pictures up..

Attachments

• IMG_2415sm..jpg
    IMG_2415sm..jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_2417sm..jpg
    IMG_2417sm..jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
If you can find a SCSI Zip drive, they make good transfer medium for old Mac software. They show up at our local YMCA for $1 with power supplies every now and then. 100 MB goes a long way with System 6 and System 7, and you can get a cheap IDE Zip drive for your desktop -- Linux/Mac OS X will write HFS Zip disks just fine, and I believe there's Windows software for HFS as well.

No luck..

I got the comms working, i can transfer files from the pc to the mac.

i found some system 2.0 .sit files. They won't un-stuff.. doesn't really do anything thing with them on the SE. They unstuff fine on the PC.

I found system 3, finder 5 in an hqx. Unpacks the hqx, but won't unstuff the .sit file that it leaves behind. says its corrupt..

Gonna try to put system 7 on the SE, and find the "stargate" software i've read about?

Does any one have an early System 2 that they could image the disk, and hqx it?

thanks..

edit:

Since I can unstuff these files on my PC, I wonder if my stuff-it on the SE is too old. I have version 4.1. What is the newest version that will run on a SE?

Last edited:
Not to short circuit your learning experience, but where are you located? I could just send you a physical disk.

Also, what hardware do you have, running what software? (What's the PC {general spec, no need to be exact,} what type of SE, what OS on each?)

I'm located up in frozen canada..

The PC is an AMD quad core. Windows XP Box.. Built it for gaming.

The SE is what i've discovered, is a 4/40 (4mb/40mb hd), with 6.0.8 on in, from 1987. No superdrive. From the symptoms, the SIT files are too new for suffit 4.0.1.. I've tracked down stuffit 4.5.. I also got a stripped system disk with 7.0.1 to try booting off of.

I have managed to use diskcopy, and make disks of images from the PC.. just seems the stuffit files for the available systems that would run a 128, are too new for what will run on the SE..

I've taken this as a personal challenge, to get this 128 booted.. :)

I'm assuming by "frozen Canada" you're on the east coast? we've had nothing but warm temperatures and no snow all winter on the west coast (BC) :)

Congrats on the 128k, i recently picked up one myself as well.

I'm assuming by "frozen Canada" you're on the east coast? we've had nothing but warm temperatures and no snow all winter on the west coast (BC) :)

Congrats on the 128k, i recently picked up one myself as well.

I'm in Calgary, Alberta... Right now its not bad, but we like our weather to swing from +5 to -30..

I'm going to try to put together a how-to on making these disks if your stuck with a 800k mac.

Thought i replied to this last night.... odd.
Anyway, I actually am out in Calgary semi-regularly (inlaw visits), so if you needed a hand i can definitely lend it. making 400k boot disks shouldn't be "too" hard on an 800k mac, when you erase(initialize) a DD disk, it'll ask you if you want to format one sided or two sided, you want to do one sided 400k. if you need a boot disk or two, let me know and i can mail them out to you as well.

Thanks for the offer, but I finally beat this thing. Bit of a convoluted route, but it works.. Why wouldnt you have the images for a 400/800k Mac available in format that a 400/800k mac could read....

The main problem, is that every image that will run on this thing, was compressed in a .sit newer than stuffit 4.0.1, that would run on my SE. So I could never uncompress the files.
I could un-stuff the files on my PC, though, but all the resource fork data was lost, and diskcopy 4.2 wouldnt read the file.

The whole secret was, mini vMac. I could boot the emulator on a 6.0.8 system, mount the .dsk image files for the OS, and re-diskcopy them back into images (with all the resource fork data intact).

Using stuffit lite 3.6, i recompressed the image file in a format my SE could understand (and loaded stuffit lite 3.6 on it as well). From there, simple as turning the image back into a 400k disk.

If some one is interested, I could put together a little package (and if its legal on this board), with a 40MB disk image (zips down to 2mb or so), with the tools you need to make the conversion.

Now, what to do with the 128.......

How about hook it up to a linux terminal and "browse the web" with it? :p One of our other members already did that with his 128k.

How about hook it up to a linux terminal and "browse the web" with it? :p One of our other members already did that with his 128k.

That'd be me. :p

Yeah, it's a silly use. My other uses for my 128 are playing old games, and, uh....

Yeah, that's about it.

I really need to get terminal software for my Apple IIc, its green-scale monochrome screen would be a much more appropriate serial terminal. (And I like the keyboard better.)

You can use Modem MGR with the Apple II series for terminal emulation. I use it with my IIe. You can send the image over to a floppy disk using ADT Pro -- if you don't have disks, cables, et c., PM me for a copy of Modem MGR and/or ADT Pro.

As to uses for the 128...I use my Classic II as a terminal emulator, and for composing documents when I don't want distractions that come with my Internet-connected Linux machine. The Linux machine reads Mac formatted floppies and MO disks, so transferring the documents over is easy.

Back