• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

TI TravelMate 4000M

blackrider1

Hello:
I´m trying to repair this old laptop I got 2 weeks ago. It´s a 466 DX4 probably at 75 mghz. I have all items (battery and power adaptor) but can´t turn it on.
One component on the power board blew up and can´t find any reference of it.
Probably, it could be a resistor o didode, maybe a fuse (named R20 or R28 ) but I need to be sure to replace it. Can anybody with this laptop help me identifying it:
Here some pics:
Front side

and rear side:

I found an equivalent item at PCHUB:

but can´t figure out what it is about. They did not have any working items right now, so I cancelled the order:
http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/49-...nts-TravelMate-4000M-Internal-Power-Pack.html

I need some help about this component and, if possible, a better picture of it.
Thnaks for helping me.

Any component whose callout begins with R (for example R20 or R28 ) would be a resistor -- and by the looks of it here, a fairly high current one (maybe 1/2 or 1 watt), because the majority of other components on this board are surface-mount.

To replace it you would need to know the original resistor's value in ohms. Sometimes this is printed on the circuit board itself, but usually not. Also it looks like you would have some repair work to do on the other side of the board, due to the damage caused by the resistor exploding. Alas, you might be better off trying to find an entire replacement power supply board.

Thanks vwestlife, of course, I´m trying to get a replacement board, but meanwhile, iI´ll try to repair it. I know I will have to repair some parts on the board, but, like a hobby, I don´t mind.
You can hardly see some characters in the PCHUB pic, like 47 o LT ¿3--8 ? (Litte Fuse??? maybe). Here is a closer look of the damage board.

Anyway, I´ll be waitting for someone who has the same model and could help me.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
Hi blackrider, I've the solution because same problems also for me in repairing TM4000m: your destructed component is a resistor 47 ohm, 5% of tolerance, 1/2 watt, but you know that first the replacement you must individuate the origin of this fault and the increasing of current in this R28.
Do you know if exits the Maintenence Manual of TM4000m ?, I've ONLY the User Manual of this notebook !!!
Best wishes from Italy, Mario-

Sorry you both, for the delay.I just saw your messages. I took the TM apart and now, while revisting my post I found yours answers.

X tnickell, right now I can afford buying any old laptop, that was why a took it apart, but still I have it, wating for repairing.Anyway you can PM an offer, if you want.

X orsomario. I couldn´t find any service manual of it, just user manual, but, could you post here a picture of the resistor, as close and clear as you can, to figure out what´s arround it and chek if everything is okay?I would appreciate it. I can see a melted zone in the plastic cover, close to the DC jack, and all the electrolitic capacitor are bulged (c10,c12 and c14).It seems to be an overcharge caused for a defective power adaptor or an incorret voltaje.
Thanks

Last edited:
Back