• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Mac System 7.5.2+ Boot Disk

kvanderlaag

Experienced Member
In trying to get a fresh install of 7.5.3 on my Duo 2300c, I'm having a really hard time finding a copy of a boot disk that the 2300c will recognize.

The 7.5 Network Access disk is too old, and the 7.5.2 Network Access Disk image I have won't fly.

Has anyone got something they know has worked? Could I conceivably even use Disk Tools? I really just want to get 7.5.3 on this thing, toss in the 7.5.5 update, and call it a day. I could probably get away with using OS 8.1 or something, but I'm after blistering speed. 7.6 would be great, but finding a copy is...interesting... where floppies are concerned.

Am I retarded? Should this 7.5.2 disk be working for me?

I've got the 7.5.3 net install sitting here, but I really wish there was a set of individual disk images for it, even if there's 19 of them.

Here you go, here's a disk image (created in OS X 10.6 Disk Utility) of the actual "PowerBook 5300/2300/190 Disk Tools" disk.

http://www.hurtley.info/Media/2300DT.dmg

It contains System 7.5.2 with "Minimal 5300/2300/190 Enabler" (which is what you're missing, I bet.)

If you need it in Disk Copy 6.3 or Disk Copy 4.2, let me know. I'll need to boot up another machine to image it on one of those, though.

You can download it from Apple's web site for free these days.

You can download it from Apple's web site for free these days.

I've got the 7.5.3 net install sitting here, but I really wish there was a set of individual disk images for it, even if there's 19 of them.

Guess what: Apple released System 7.5.3 as a free download on their website years ago. :)

Parent directory listing:

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...North_American/Macintosh/System/Older_System/

System 7.5.3 (all 19 floppies as separate bin files):

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...System/Older_System/System_7.5_Version_7.5.3/

System 7.5.3 revision 2:

http://download.info.apple.com/Appl...stem_7.5.2_and_7.5.3/System_7.5.3_Revision_2/

Not only free to download, but also legal and straight from the horse's mouth. Knock yourself out. :)

@ Digger:

Absolutely, yes - that's where I got all of this. Unfortunately, the requirement for the 7.5.3 install that Apple has posted is that you have an environment you can boot into to copy the files to the hard disk of the machine you're installing to, as I understand it, because once they're all on there, you run the .smi (for which there are 18 other .part-s) and it mounts the installer as a disk image. I COULD just boot the system and drop all the files in a folder, since the 2300c does boot and eventually does hit the desktop, but the install on that hard drive is...special...and so it takes a LONG time to come online.

@ Anonymous Freak:

You are my hero. I'm going to go boot into OS X and try that right now. Thank you!

Ah, alright, I thought that those 19 files were floppy images that you could just write to disks using a rawrite-like tool, and that you would then be able to boot the installer using the first one and just keep changing floppies during the installation. Just like Windows and OS/2 in the pre-CDROM days.

I learned something today. :) I'm glad Anonymous Freak had a solution for you.

Sigh.

Disk Utility, when trying to restore 2300DT.dmg to my Sony USB Floppy, gives an Error 123, could not validate source.

It mounts fine, it sees it just fine, but it won't restore. I tried expanding it in TransMac and saving the uncompressed disk image, and used dd to copy that raw to the floppy, but the disk drive on the Duo spat it back out when it tried to boot, so I can only imagine it didn't work.

Edit:

Wait! After a little more fiddling with the expanded image and dd, I got it to copy and it boots the 2300c just fine. This is terrific news -- but it won't let me eject the disk since it contains the active system software, and somehow I still need to get all 19 parts of the 7.5.3 installer onto the hard disk. Back to the drawing board, for now - I do have an Ethernet-capable SE/30 with 7.5 installed on it at my disposal.

Last edited:
If you have an SE/30, you can do a serial AppleTalk connection between the two systems, and 'stream' the install from the SE/30. (i.e. you don't even need to copy the files to the Duo first, you can just run it from the mapped SE/30 drive.)

Also, you could format the hard drive using the Disk Tools floppy, then copy the Disk Tools floppy's System Folder over to have a minimally-functional hard drive based OS, and disk-swap the 19 7.5.3 images.

I opted to do it the nasty, brutish way.

Screwdriver and a USB to 2.5" IDE adapter + TransMac on my desktop PC.

All 19 disk images are now on the hard drive. It took about 25 seconds.

I also am having extreme difficulty installing Mac System 7.5.3 on my Mac 5300c. I'm using the origonal disk from mac. I formatted and scanned the hdd with disk tools 2. When I start installing it goes through disk 1 and ask for disk 2, then in a short time it ask for disk 1 again. Then I get an error message and installation stops. I've been pulling my hair out for hours over this. Any suggestions?:confused:

What are you installing from? If at all possible, it definitely seems easiest to create a bootable HDD using the DT2 boot disk, and then copy the .smi and all the .part files from the self-mounting 7.5.3 installation over.

I, unfortunately, have a 2300c hard drive that makes some lovely 'thunk'ing noises when I try to copy the setup files to it, and a 2GB ATA-3 drive that it won't recognize.

It's not a menu option, really - you just copy the System Folder from the Disk Tools diskette to the root of the hard drive, pop the disk out, and reboot. It should boot from the hard disk, and then you're free to copy over the 19 part self-mounting installer.

It's not a menu option, really - you just copy the System Folder from the Disk Tools diskette to the root of the hard drive, pop the disk out, and reboot. It should boot from the hard disk,

I tried that and copied disk 1 also. I clicked on the installer and got an error message about using the floppy disk instead for instalation. I think my disk 1 is corrupt and that's why I can't install from disk either.

Back