• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore Returns to the PC Market After 16-Year Hiatus

Commodore 64 set to make a comeback

TODAY

173960b9bgt.jpg
New Commodore 64

We can't help but love it when old favourites from gadget days gone by make a comeback, and so we were more than chuffed to hear that the vintage Commodore 64 computer is set to go on sale once again.

Yes, the computer that was no doubt the foundation of many Stuffers' gaming roots will be available through Commodore USA's online store, set to open on 1 June.

As can only be expected, it's had a spec tweak to conform with computers today, packing a 500GB hard drive and 4GB of RAM.

There will also be a choice of Blu-ray or DVD drive, touchpad, four USB ports and an Ethernet port. It'll also run a choice of operating systems, including Windows 7.

173970315mn.jpg
With all this updated tech, we're still hoping the new Commodore will have the same old-school charm of its predecessor (see right).

We're still waiting on pricing, but in the meantime you can check out more in-depth specs and details over at the Commodore website.

So, are you excited? What games would you like to see make a comeback for the C64? Let us know below.

Via: Arnnet

http://stuff.tv/News/Commodore-64-set-to-make-a-comeback/14286/

Attachments

• 173960b9bgt..jpg
    173960b9bgt..jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 1
It's not a "return", it's not a "comeback", it's not even a "Commodore".

It's some random PC maker that has licensed the name from the (now, what, fourth? fifth?) owner of the name Commodore.

The Asus EeeKeyboard will be smaller and more power efficient.

And their list of OSes is hilarious. "Amiga!" (Emulation only.) "Apple OSX!" (Customer install only, requires hacking.)

It's not a "return", it's not a "comeback", it's not even a "Commodore".

It's some random PC maker that has licensed the name from the (now, what, fourth? fifth?) owner of the name Commodore.

The Asus EeeKeyboard will be smaller and more power efficient.

And their list of OSes is hilarious. "Amiga!" (Emulation only.) "Apple OSX!" (Customer install only, requires hacking.)

That's what I thought when I saw it: "Oh. Yay. EeeKeyboard ripoff from someone who got the Commodore name. Big. Whup."

LOL at the OSes.

Actually, it is a ripoff from someone who not quite yet has obtained the rights to use the brand name. That is the funniest thing of all, it seems they're in negotiations to use the name and logotype. Why advertise a product if you don't even know if you'll have the rights to sell it?

Wasn't there a batch of gaming PCs put out with the Commodore brand a few years back? They shipped with an emulator and some games

I've seen this machine before in a thread I made about keyboard-based PCs - they are just planning to rebrand them as Commodore it seems. I must say though, just having a Commodore logo on one of these would make them quite a bit more attractive to me, but the fail video chipset kills the whole thing.

Back