• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Good Dos-based cd player?

salamontagne

Experienced Member
Does anyone know of a good dos-based cd-player that will support a cd-changer?

Since I no longer have a bbs, my 5-disc Nakaminchi changers (as well as the machine itself)
have been quite lonely :p

Does anyone have suggestions for a graphical cd-player in dos that would work? CDDB/ FreeDB
access would be nice too, but thats probabily pushing it...

About 5 years ago I used a 4cd drive. IIRC there was discussion here, so you should be able to do a search. What I seem to remember is that the drive required it's own driver in order to change disks. I don't think there's any generic software that interfaces in that way. I could be wrong though. :) I'll dig out the box that I set up as a headless CD player and see what it was that worked so well, if it's any use.

Which ones have you tried? If you want I have:
ACDC v 2.00
ACP v 1.12
Compact Disk Master v3.3
I don't remember which one was best, but if one had a graphical interface that required me to look at it, then I would have deleted it. IOW these would be pretty terse. :)

I'm currently trying out a couple:

Mpxplay (http://mpxplay.cjb.net/)

OpenCp (http://www.cubic.org/player/index.html)

and

Cplayer (http://www.frontiernet.net/~fys/cdp.htm)

I'll be transfering them over soon so i can check out which i like better

While i just LOVE typeing commands in dos again and again, I'm (not yet) masocistic enough to try and control playback for 15+ CD's
from the command line.....:p

About 5 years ago I used a 4cd drive. IIRC there was discussion here, so you should be able to do a search. What I seem to remember is that the drive required it's own driver in order to change disks. I don't think there's any generic software that interfaces in that way. I could be wrong though. :) I'll dig out the box that I set up as a headless CD player and see what it was that worked so well, if it's any use.

Which ones have you tried? If you want I have:
ACDC v 2.00
ACP v 1.12
Compact Disk Master v3.3
I don't remember which one was best, but if one had a graphical interface that required me to look at it, then I would have deleted it. IOW these would be pretty terse. :)

I'll be transfering them over soon so i can check out which i like better
I'll be interested in what you think. Those programs look pretty functional.

While i just LOVE typeing commands in dos again and again, I'm (not yet) masocistic enough to try and control playback for 15+ CD's
from the command line.....:p

I guess we have different ideas of how to use DOS. :) I use it to avoid a lot of typing. In the case of the the aforementioned CD player, I didn't want to use a screen, so I made the commands just simple key strokes. Eg, "1" for disk one etc. essentially the same idea as any stand alone appliance, just using a keyboard for the buttons.

I'm curious; if you're not going to make an "appliance" then why would you want to use a non multitaskinkg OS as a player?

Back