• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Wanted: Socket 3 CPU's, AMD 5x86 and Pentium Overdrive 83

Tetrium

Experienced Member
I'm still looking for both these processors to play around with.
Must be in working condition and no bend pins. I wouldn't mind minor scratching as I'm more a hardware user and not so much a collector.

I'm looking to buy 1 or 2 of each
If anyone here has any of these parts and are willing to part with them for a non-$12345.67 ebay-like inflated price (since I don't have much to spare), please reply to this thread or send me a PM. I'm located in The Netherlands

Kind regards.

I've got some 5x86 chips, all of them are 133ADW variety. I think I can part with one if you're interested. Make an offer in PM - will include fan/heatsink combo if you want, but it will increase shipping marginally.

Found this on ebay, as I am looking for this too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/4-x-Evergreen-A...5184?cmd=ViewItem&pt=CPUs&hash=item20b08dc7b0

The thing is, I only need one of them. If someone here buys these, I'll gladly buy one from you (provided the auction doesn't go sky-high). Anyone else interested? Split the auction!

I'm pretty sure these can come apart so you can not use the volt adapter. But my motherboard does both 3.3 and 5v, so if need be I can crank it up to 5 and use the adapter.

Edit: Darn lol, I decided to place a bid on it, only to find out later they ship to the US only -_-.
Time to message them lol. Anyway, if I do get the items, we'll work something out ;)

Edit2:I asked him if he wants to ship them to Europe, when I hear back from him I'll let you know ;)
Anyway, if I do win this auction, I'll have enough 5x86's of my own also!

This means I'm not actively looking for 5x86 anymore untill further notice

Last edited:
I thought you were looking for multiple varieties.

Anywho, considering the auction price, I'd buy one of them at $5 or so if someone else gets them and wants to sell a few of the duplicates. I find myself obsessed with having lots of 486's. :p

I have a stack of them by my main box, in fact, about 15 of them of various types (I put the nice ones into currently used machines, and keep the weak ones and unused nice ones in the stack).

I also placed bids on multiple varieties.

As I haven't won the auctions yet I have no idea how many I'll be getting now, hence I'm not accepting offers for 5x86's at this time.
And it's not even sure yet I'll win the auction, it will last for another 4 days.

Well let us know and feel free to shoot me a PM when you get your stock in, if you do - I'll be more than happy to snap up a few of your surplus.

Well, the 1st 3 autions are over. I won the 1st one with one person placing a bid 5 seconds before the deadline!
An hour later that same person placed an even higher bid on another 5x86 4 seconds before deadline and overbid me. I was surprised, he offered over €25 for it!!
Are these processors realy worth that much? Either he must've been pissed he didn't get the 1st one he tried to outbid me on, or that particular processor was realy that rare. That AMD 5x86 had a realy late manufacturing date and had black printing.
Google didn't find anything about black-printed 5x86's, perhaps anyone here knows?
Heres a link to the pic:
Nietgewonnen-black-printAMD5x86.jpg

Too bad I didn't win that one but atleast I didn't let him get away with a too low price.
The good news is the 4 evergreen ones can be shipped to Europe...I'd better win that one!

Back on topic, still looking for another POD83. I'm awayting one to arrive soon but will need to test it first once it gets here

Are these processors realy worth that much? Either he must've been pissed he didn't get the 1st one he tried to outbid me on, or that particular processor was realy that rare. That AMD 5x86 had a realy late manufacturing date and had black printing.
Google didn't find anything about black-printed 5x86's, perhaps anyone here knows?

For CPU collectors the engraved "black markings" 5x86 are harder to find the the normal white printed ones.

Your lucky i didnt see the listing lol

You can always ask here http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/
for the PODP5V83 as they are reasonably common & there is probably members in Holland, France or Germany who will have one for sale

Last edited:
For CPU collectors the engraved "black markings" 5x86 are harder to find the the normal white printed ones.

Your lucky i didnt see the listing lol

You can always ask here http://www.cpu-world.com/forum/
for the PODP5V83 as they are reasonably common & there is probably members in Holland, France or Germany who will have one for sale
Thanks for reply!

Heh, can't say much about being lucky, I didn't win the bid anyway :p
Anyway, I thought it had to do with the black print. I just wasn't sure yet. Personally the late production date was of more interest to me then the color of the print
As for myself, I'm more a user, not so much a collector. In all those years I've only seen one Pentium Overdrive in the wild (and that was a socket 7 one).
I don't realy care if the POD83 I get has scratches or whatsnot, as long as it doesn't smell like dung and is in working order I'm happy :)
I see very few listings of the POD83, much fewer then the AMD 5x86.
If you had a chance to bid on it, chances are it could've gone sky high. Anyway, more then €25 wasn't worth it for me, when it's under the heatsink the color of the print matters not to me ;)

I have been pretty lucky as i have found POD63, 83 & 200MMX in the wild, but also have found cheaply all the other speed Pentium ODs

The best find was POD120 for the socket 4 boards
Still have a few to take pics of.. but here is most of mine http://neon-wa.x86-guide.com/en/collection/Intel-Pentium/Pentium+Overdrive.html
I do have NIB POD150mmx, so still chasing a used one

There would be a few European CPU World members that would have the chips you are chasing. If you went for plain white print 5x86.. they only worth 3 - 5 euros. POD83s sell for 10 - 15 euro

That's an earlier one, actually, not later. Note the "Windows Compatible" logo instead of the "Windows 95" logo (unless I am mistaken).

Oh and as an avid 486 user, my two cents is that Am5x86, while better than the standard DX2 or what-have-you, probably are nothing in comparison to a Cyrix 5x86. This is why I am getting a MediaGX box.

That's an earlier one, actually, not later. Note the "Windows Compatible" logo instead of the "Windows 95" logo (unless I am mistaken).

Oh and as an avid 486 user, my two cents is that Am5x86, while better than the standard DX2 or what-have-you, probably are nothing in comparison to a Cyrix 5x86. This is why I am getting a MediaGX box.
Yes, but I read many people had trouble getting those Cyrix's to run well. I have a MediaGX board laying around untested. With my luck with untested boards it's probably dead heh :p
I don't actually have a manual for it yet, I might post about it later on this forum (It's on my Photobucket).

It's still 2+ days to know if I'll get the Evergreens or not.
Still looking for atleast one more POD5V83...

Last edited:
Let me know what model of MediaGX board you have, what MediaGX chip is in it, etc.

If it's any faster than 133mhz it's not a 486-era Cyrix, but a Pentium or above. 100, 120, and 133mhz are the only 486-era MediaGX chips I am aware of.

Heh, then it's definately Pentium class! I got 1 (untested) board and 3 CPU's to choose from.
This is the board itself, it looks like a standard AT socket 7 board with 2 DIMM slots, but it's a MediaGX alright.
Could you post a pic of a 486 based MediaGX? I didn't know those existed

CyrixGX-133BP-33V-85C.jpg

Best of the best for 486 performance, if the testimony of other forum members is true. According to some on here a Cyrix 5x86@120mhz can equal or best an Am5x86@160mhz. MediaGX is just a Cyrix 5x86 + VGA + SB-compatible audio in one chipset.

I hope it works out for you! I tested my MediaGX and it's dead ofcourse. Well, atleast I'll have 2 (not 3) chips in my collection.
I'm still waiting for my CPU's to come in btw...

Update:

I'm no longer looking for the AMD 5x86 chip! Now I only want the POD83 one

Update2: I am no longer looking for either 5x86 or POD83 so is thread is now now closed until further notice!

Last edited:
Back