• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

When I run DOOM on my ValuePoint...

Raven

Veteran Member
I get a weird error during the "Init DOOM Refresh Daemon [....]" part of loading. It comes in two lines at the top left corner of the screen:

?????

(the first line is centered to the second line's length)

I suspect that it's some kind of BIOS error... I had this box previously working just fine with DOOM. I downgraded the CPU from Am5x86->Am486 (both at 100mhz) and put in another 16MB of RAM since then.

I suspect that either the new RAM is to blame (though it seems no matter WHAT I do, this machine complains about RAM all the time, constantly "Memory Error" and/or "Memory Size Error" at random on boot, sometimes no error at all, no matter what combination of what compatible sticks I use - so I've begun to ignore these errors.

When DOOM worked before, oddly, Pharaoh's Tomb would not run, instead changing to a graphics mode and then displaying "Runtime Error 200" which I looked up and found that unless the program was made with Turbo Pascal, it's a mystery error. After borking with the CPU and RAM, that runs just fine - but DOOM doesn't. What the heck?

Edit: It's crap like this that makes me despise my ValuePoint half the time.

Ahhh DOOM, one hell of a classic game, ran smoother on my 386dx-40 with coprocessor than my 486dx2-66

What version of DOOM are u using and what version of DOS are you using, It appears that doom is getting stuck in one of it's files, which is where the version is important the original versions 1.2-1.6 were kinda bugga, 1.9U was the most stable with no problems

I would be willing to bet that doom doesn't like either the CPU or the RAM. Can u adjust the timings of the RAM at all? if so, try slowing the ram down a bit.

I'm using "The Ultimate Doom" - it's 1.9. It ran with the same RAM (less of it) before just fine, and a more powerful but same speed CPU.

32MB of possibly-glitchy 70ns Parity 72-pin SIMMs, 2xIBM branded 2xKingston branded in a 4x8MB configuration

Am486DX4 100mhz

Doesn't matter which video card I use, same results

XTIDE hooked up to hdd

MS-DOS 7.10 w/ JemmEx as memory manager

ZIP drive, 3.5/5.25" floppy combo drive, and DVD drive - the ZIP and DVD hooked up to the built-in IDE.

If you need any other details let me know.

Ram, try to use all the same type if possible, 4xIBM or 4XKingston, the capacity and speeds might be the same, but some of the other timings might be off a bit.

XT-IDE shouldn't have anything to do with it

If you can, disable parity checking, see what happens

Fall back to dos 6.22 and use the default emm-manager, or qemm if you have it.

I've always had Dos 7.10 w/ JemmEx on this machine, including when it has worked with DOOM.

I don't think I can disable Parity.

I also don't have 4 of either stick type. I can, however, remove a pair. I ran the box with 16MB for a while, and with 24MB (dunno what sticks I used for that, couldn't figure it out again for the life of me) before that. I'll let you know how that goes tomorrow.

No, no, no. The cause is simply that your computer wrote out "LOL" in 1337, he's laughing at you. No technical problems, he just owned you.

I KNEW IT HATED ME! It's evil... it truly is!

Little does it know, but it's being replaced with a MediaGX Presario 2110 soon.. ;) (as my 486 gaming comp, anyway)

Little does it know, but it's being replaced with a MediaGX Presario 2110 soon

Ah MediaGX the 486 that never really was, I always wanted one, but when they were new the price wasn't much of a value (contrary to claims) I ended up with a 6x86 pr200. Then later on the MediaGx was long dead and still higher than I wanted to spend.

Must have a cult following since its just a Cyrix 5x85 (486pro) at a higher clock speed.

Back