• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Epson tf-20 for sale!!!

Toadiesop

A while back I found an Epson H00DC-IA controller at Goodwill and you guys helped me out a lot on it. So I'd like to thank you again.

And while I was researching that piece I noticed a few people talking about the disk drive that went with the HX-20 as well.

I remember someone (curtis to be exact, not sure if he's still on this board or not), but he said something along the lines of "Yeah, good luck finding an TF-20!!". I put that piece of info away in the back of my brain, never actaully thinking that I'd find one.

Well, I just found one, at the same goodwill I found the H00DC-IA at back in December.
And just like the H00DC, the TF-20 is "MINT". They had to have come from the same "donation", but it just took them until this week to get to the box with the drive in it.

And by "mint" I mean it looks unused. It even still has the two cardboard "shipping disks" in the drives. There's not even a speck of dust in any of the vents around the unit.

I will get pictures up tomorrow, but I just wanted to get this posted now.

From what I gather from you guys is that this is pretty rare and before I put it up on Ebay I figured I'd give you all a shot at it first since you've helped me out in the past.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me and I will answer them as soon as possible (usually within a few hours).

And any information on value will be greatly appreciated of course but I'm willing to look at any offers.

Thank you all again.

I remember someone (curtis to be exact, not sure if he's still on this board or not), but he said something along the lines of "Yeah, good luck finding an TF-20!!". I put that piece of info away in the back of my brain, never actaully thinking that I'd find one.

Good score!

Yup, that sounds like something I would say! And yeah, they are very uncommon. Next question, did the connecting cable come with it? A person can fabricate your own, but soldering those little connectors can be quite tedious.

Where are you located? Sounds like we need to check out the Goodwill there! Heck, we don't even have a Goodwill right now. They went bankrupt. We're supposed to be getting a new one run by the Lubbock, TX Goodwill, but it's going to be a couple more months before they're up and running.

The Goodwills by me (there are two) always ship 100% of their computing gear north several hours to a bigger store, so I never get anything computer-related at mine. :(

One time they screwed up and put a Kingston network card out for sale though, which I snapped up... came with nice Win3x/DOS drivers...

Anyway my point is you're lucky! :p

Thanks Guys!

Sadly there's no cable with it, but I'm going to go back and check through all the other cables they have. They have a shelf about 4 foot long that is nothing but cables all thrown together in a "rats nest". I'll definitely dig through those since they may have just thrown it in there.

I could fashion one I guess if I could find the right DIN plugs. They're both 5-Pin, but with different placements of pins. Doesn't look too hard provided, as I said, I can get the right plugs.

So does anyone have any idea what this may be worth. I understand it's hard to put a value on something very rare, and it's only worth as much as someone will pay for it, but I don't want to short change myself either.

I mean are we talking $200
$500
$1000?????

Thanks again guys. I wish I had the money (or the space) to get into this hobby of collecting vintage comp stuff. I've purchased other nice pieces in my travels in the past 10 years, but I've sold most of them off. The only thing I've held on to is a Tandy 1000X that I use for DOS games and a TRS-80 that I gutted and put an ATX mobo in, a DVD drive, new keyboard, etc. The only thing I need to get that up and running is the right sized LCD monitor to fit in there. :cool: That wont be hard to find, I just haven't looked yet.

By the way. In case you are wondering what I paid for the TF-20...............

$3.99

:mrgreen:

Thanks again!!

So no one here is interested in this?

I'm really desperate to sell this. I have rent to pay and such.
I just don't want to get ripped off, and I don't want to rip-off anyone else.

Any ballpark figures? Am I in the wrong section of the forum to be asking prices?

I really need help here.
Thanks.

lol.. I'm sure there's interest but there's also the pocket book problem a lot of us have. Sometimes despite the item being worth a lot and wanting it, we can't afford it. I'm honestly not sure what it's worth, I'd imagine the bigger the audience the better price you'll end up getting though. So if you don't get many folks here I'd actually recommend the evil empire of bay just to broaden your audience (and their income).

The other catch of course is not letting folks know how much you got it for ;-) It's a better sell if it's rare and you got it for some huge story. Certainly appreciate you posting it here though! No telling what it'd go for.. could be small could be some Austrian buys it for a few hundred. (I kid.. I hear lots of sellers selling to Austria and I jest that it's one collector who's beat me in a few auctions).

Haha! Sorry guys. I didn't mean to sound like a pest. I just figured that if I was going to a ballpark figure ANYWHERE, it would be here. :)

And I thought about whether or not I should post what I paid for it.
It would make no difference if I said "Someone gave this to me" in my eyes.
The fact remains that I have one for sale, no matter how I acquired it.

I'm have no regrets about saying how much I got it for. It just goes to show that if there's a thrift store around your area, you should really check it out...... OFTEN!!

This is how I make my $$. For real. I try to go to Goodwill a few times a week.
I even got my mother into the "hobby". She goes more than I do now. haha.

Her and I have different "areas of expertise" so to speak.

When I saw the drive I literally freaked out. She looked confused and I told her what it was.
Said..... "Oh, that thing? It's been sitting there for almost a week now.."

haha.

VintageComputerman is about right.

Of course, if it's tested and in working condition will bump the price. Untested and missing cables will lower price. Ditto dents and poor physical condition.

Back