• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What graphic driver to use on compaq contura 430c

JT64

Experienced Member
I only got the it to run 256 colors, i tries standar vga, svga, WD 500 kb, WD, and alot of compatible drivers. I think win95 tried vga generic driver to start with.

Maybe there is simply something wrong with the card or it simply to not support 16-bit color?
The 256 color okay but 16-bit 32 000 colors would be nicer.

JT

Actually win95, i found 3.x drivers on HP/compaqs site, but they will not work in Win95 i tried. I think it is meant to be a supported driver by Win95 since there is no special compaq drivers, however when i run 640*400 and try to change to 16-bit colors as is in the list it says the device do not support that resolution.

JT

According to "the Google", it is likely that you have a WD90C24. According to HP, Western Digital WD24A2. I cannot find 95 drivers for either of these cards. You can try plopping a Windows 98 disk in the drive and seeing if it will locate a driver on it, as the drivers are fairly compatible with one another. It should be detecting and working as best it can with some internal, non-default VGA driver, however.

Do the Win3x drivers support 16-bit color, btw? They can, you know, so it would be a good test to see if the card does.

I'm surprised that Windows 95 doesn't have a driver for that chip. What did Windows try to use as a driver when you installed the OS?

I've found some info about the chip. It sounds like it's limited to 640x480x8 (256 colors) if driving the LCD. An external display can run up to 1024x768x8 apparently. It also sounds like it lacks GUI acceleration (there's a revision of the chip with some added acceleration). You probably have 1MB VRAM in there.

Last edited:
It either has 512K or 1MB VRAM - should be enough to do 16-bit @ 640x480, just a matter if the chip was designed to do so.

Thank you! i think that is the answer i needed, the max 256 colors is probably due to the internal LCD i did not have any monitor hooked up.
I will try it right away.

JT

******Case closed, Contura need an external monitor to show 16-bit color*******

Last edited:
Back