• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

My Collection Pieces

chalackd

Experienced Member
After browsing around for a couple days, and seeing all the chat about all the various neat old systems out there has me thinking about what all I've got sitting around here. Mostly I have stuff packed all over the place from my last move and I'm not even entirely sure what all I have any more... So, as I remember things or dig items out I'm going to list them all here (In no particular order).

Apple IIgs
System w/2 3.5 drives. One drive works fine, the others a little iffy. System was supposed to have a 1mb memory card but never arrived as such (grr...). Still looking for the proper RGB monitor locally enough to not be killed on shipping. All in all a pretty clean unit otherwise.

GRiD 2260
Cool, rugged convertible laptop circa '93. Battery even still holds charge, not 100% but I get a couple hours at a time out of it still. Came with the 3.5 floppy drive, parallel adapter cable, and original manuals and disks (if anyone needs a copy...). A little minor cosmetic damage but fully functional, and I'm thinking of swapping out the HDD, it's a little noisy and I'd like to keep it from dying on me.

Apple Mac SE
Looks to be a standard FDHD, 720k floppy/30mb HD iirc, nothing really special about it but it's a fairly clean system too.

Compaq Vectra CS Portable
What a beast of a laptop. 8088 inside, I think. It works but I don't have the proper AC adapter so I didn't want to run it too long. It's a lead acid battery with a built in charge regulator or something, I found enough details online, then cheated and used one of my powerbook adapters to get it to boot...

Apple Powerbook 100 & 140
The 100 was an old system that I got to use as a kid, played with the thing for years until the screen started eating itself out in the center, then it got torn apart for a project that I never completed. Still have the whole thing in the box though... The 140 I recently bought for nostalgic value, since it's almost identical to the old 100. Various original disks and docs around for these too.

NES
Yeah, I know it's not actually a vintage computer, but it's close enough for my list. Complete in a rough original box, it was one that came with the 'power pad'. Like new condition, with controllers, power pad, and zapper gun (which hadn't even been unwrapped until I got my grubby hands on it, lol).

Compaq 3/25
Rather generic 386 laptop, monochrome lcd... currently without hard drive, but the 50mb from it is on the shelf around here somewhere.

Compaq LTE5000
Another rather generic laptop, and hardly vintage with it's 75MHz pentium under the hood, but it's another fairly clean unit so it belongs to the collection regardless.

That's what I can remember off the top of my head right now, but there's still the 'junk pile' of various systems that are in my shed, I think one AMD 386, various 486's (but no sweet 75/100MHz ones...) along with a selection Pentium 1 and 2's. Add to that the boxes and boxes of peripheral cards (mostly 16-bit ISA - controller cards, video cards, multifunction cards) One ESDI HDD card w/ST205 drive, a few VESA video cards, and stacks of assorted 3.5 & 5.25 floppy drives, two colorado tape drives w/cards, various mobo's ranging from 8088 to PII, old HDD's and a couple more old complete systems buried in the works I'm sure (nothing too special though).

Most of the newer stuff (pentium forward and sometimes 486's) I've been getting tired of trying to store, so my upcoming plan is to strip the actual electronic hardware for proper storage then all the generic cases can go either into the bin or into a basic shed to just keep the weather off them. The boards, drives, CPU's, cards and whatever else will then go back into the good shed and I should have some space again...

Wow :) Right there with ya on the NES. Very cool to have one in that condition and in original packaging. That's something if I was to start over I would have tried more to get while things were cheaper is more systems in boxes. Although after a while the boxes show wear anyway and a lot of the real good condition boxes I come across online end up being a lot less great in person.

Still, nice selection and collection.

Most of the newer stuff (pentium forward and sometimes 486's) I've been getting tired of trying to store, so my upcoming plan is to strip the actual electronic hardware for proper storage then all the generic cases can go either into the bin or into a basic shed to just keep the weather off them. The boards, drives, CPU's, cards and whatever else will then go back into the good shed and I should have some space again...

That's what I did - worked well, but I found that I never do anything with the motherboards I ended up taking out of them.. They're safe though, so whatever. A point though - make sure you keep a few spare AT and ATX cases around, in case you feel like building one of the things into a system - I made the mistake of not doing that when I scrapped (my term for taking the boards out and trashing the cases) my Pentiums and such.

It's indeed better to take out any electronics when storing them somewhere where moist might be an issue. I keep all my cases in my attic for now, but should I need some more room I have a small shed. The shed isn't realy a good place for storing hardware though, I prefer to keep my hardware where weather conditions is relatively stable.

The only cases I ever threw out were usually non-standard towers and desktops. I've kept all my clone tower AT-style cases and now that I hardly see them second hand, I'm glad that I did keep them. Tossing them is always an option but getting more cases back is getting harder as time goes by.

Ofcourse keeping that much stuff requires you actually have the room to store them without making your home un-liveable

After starting to bring systems in from the shed to be stripped I'd have to agree that the cases aren't really worth getting rid of, I do have the space around here still and nice heavy cases like a couple of these just aren't so easily found anymore. I think that the only things that I'm really going to scrap out of the pile will be any seriously damaged cases, and even they'll donate parts, the drive bays in particular I can use to build myself an SAS case for the new computers at home.

There was a pair of old compaq deskpros that I pulled out of the pile first, with their proper monitors even, but just a 386 and a 486 so not really vintage... The 486 worked first try, the 386 on the other hand is panicking at boot about some configuration error so I'll have to track down a config floppy and make sure that it's all hooked up right.

Back