• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

MediaGX Motherboard with PCI/ISA Slots

Raven

Veteran Member
Such as those seen in this picture:
cyrix02.jpg

(Exhibition in 1997)

You can always go for the 'best offer' thingy. There's a chance he'll take it. The POD83 I bought went with a 486 motherboard with a 'buy it now' of $50. I offered $15 and he took it :)
Haven't tested it though, but an extra 486 motherboard is always nice to have (provided it works)

Something tells me MediaGX chips aren't packaged in Pentium II cases, mate. Thanks though. xD

You can get this with one PCI slot :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ECS-CYRIX-MEDIAGX-MINI-MICROATX-MOBO-200MHZ-CPU-32M-/250541165010

Since the chip has sound and video on it maybe 1 PCI slot is enough for networking?

The thing is that the sound chip isn't flawlessly SB compatible so I'm looking to get my hands on one with a 16-bit ISA slot and pref. a PCI too for networking.

It probably isn't, I didn't see who made it. But it works.

You misunderstand, MediaGX is not a manufacturer - it's a CPU that isn't a Pentium variety. It's made by Cyrix and it's soldered onto the mobo - 486 class, roughly.

It probably isn't, I didn't see who made it. But it works.

"MediaGX" is a type of (rare) processor, not a motherboard manufacturer.

Edit: Raven beat me to it... but for clarification nonetheless, this is an example of a MediaGX chip:
MediaGX_GXI-180BP.jpg

Something tells me MediaGX chips aren't packaged in Pentium II cases, mate. Thanks though. xD

The thing is that the sound chip isn't flawlessly SB compatible so I'm looking to get my hands on one with a 16-bit ISA slot and pref. a PCI too for networking.

What is the point in getting a rare all-in-one chip and then not using the built in functions, might as well just use a normal Cyrix then.

Well I'd still be using the built-in video and it still has a few advantages over the standard Cyrix chips such as on-board memory controller and integrated I/O stuff into one chip. I'm also on the lookout for C5x86 chips too, but they seem to be even harder to find. Perhaps you're right, though. Also the C5x86 utilities to enable branch prediction and such don't work on these it seems, so perhaps the 5x86 is faster in that regard?

Last edited:
Yeah I actually have an IBM/Cyrix DX4/100, but I believe I've killed a good number of my rarer 486 chips from storing them all in a box on a shelf with other CPUs... One (very bad) day the entire bookshelf that this was on (including innumerable HDDs, FDDs, and ODDs) fell down and the pins on like every CPU were screwed. I unbent more than a dozen chips' pins and they work, but some of them (like the IBM DX4) are a bit wonky now, unfortunately. I'm sure most of the HDDs on that shelf are now dead, but everything else seems OK. This was a few months ago..

Anywho I keep them in that same box, but now I keep the box in a safe location where nothing can fall - a bit late now, though, I must admit.. :p

The only rare chip to suffer a significantly bad fate was my Kingston 386->486 chip, which had every single pin bent at a 90 degree angle. I could fix it, and probably will someday, but that's not a fun project. :p

Back